Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New toy...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've been looking for a coyote rifle for a while now and almost bought an AR-15 this weekend. After some thought, I decided to build one instead of buying a stock AR. However being the impulsive consumer I am, it didn't take long for me to pick out a rifle when we stopped at Dicks in Belden Village on the way home this weekend. For $450, I felt like it was a pretty good buy.

Remington 700 ADL Varmint in 22-250. I added a Claw sling and a Vanguard bi-pod today when I mounted the scope. I didn't have much time to sight it in tonight, but I did shoot a 2" 4 shot group at 100 yards just laying it over the four-wheeler seat. I'll get it on the bench this weekend and dial it the rest of the way in, but so far I'm pretty happy.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330047079.922933.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330047079.922933.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 114

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Schwing! Beauty! I don't think you will be disappointed in owning that 22-250 AND building an AR. You know what is better than a new gun? Two new guns. :smiley_clap:

Jesse,
Congradulations on a fine rifle! :smiley_clap: The .22-250 is a tack driver with lots of power...I've owned 2 of them.
A coyote killer, for certain. :smiley_bril:

I've reloaded some 55gr. Hornady V-Max bullets with IMR-4895 and IMR-4064 with excellent results. 1 hole 3 shot groups at 100 yards, 3 shots inside a penny at 200 yards and a 3855 f.p.s. 3 shot average, through a chronograph.

Bowhunter57

loose_is_fast

McClure
i have the same exact gun from dicks but mine came with a remington scope and mine loves hornady v max it didn't shoot the remington core's as good. mine will shoot 1" groups at 150 with me shooting and im not as good as the gun

Huckleberry Finn

Like I said, I shot the same gun in .223 this summer. Does yours have the heavy barrel? You are used to carrying so much shit into the woods you wouldn't notice anyways...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Get that gun in a bench and you'll be shooting 1/2" groups at 300 yards in no time!:smiley_crocodile:

You better get on the coyotes soon, spring is almost here.

epe

Lancaster
Nice looking gun! Dad was telling me about the deal dicks had on them over dinner last night. It will be a good groundhog gun too..

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Ernie, it does have the heavy barrel. It's a front heavy gun to begin with, so the bi-pod made it worse. Good thing I'm a regular old pack mule!!!

If we had groundhogs, I'd probably hunt them. But you can spent a week straight down here hunting them and you'd be lucky to shoot a half dozen. The yotes have all but wiped them out.

I'll be out this weekend calling yotes. Gonna hit up a new farm and see what happens!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Ernie, it does have the heavy barrel. It's a front heavy gun to begin with, so the bi-pod made it worse. Good thing I'm a regular old pack mule!!!

If we had groundhogs, I'd probably hunt them. But you can spent a week straight down here hunting them and you'd be lucky to shoot a half dozen. The yotes have all but wiped them out.

I'll be out this weekend calling yotes. Gonna hit up a new farm and see what happens!

Sounds to me like you need to get your ass up here this summer and spend a day or two with me and Phil riding around the flat lands and picking them out of the bean fields!!

Real nice looking gun by the way!!