Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Street Bike vs. ATV

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ok, I had a guy offer me a 2005 black and chrome Honda 1300R fully loaded for trade on my 2009 King Quad.
I'm asking $5k
The bike values at $5300

I've never owned or ridden a street bike so I'm not really looking to keep. I'm curious what might be easier to sell?
Thoughts???

Buckmaster

Portage
I have found the past couple of years that selling things is a little more difficult than it used to be. People that have money are hanging on to it. People that do want to spend money want things well below value. It's a buyers market for those that have cash and are willing to part with it.

Some things to keep in mind is tax, title fees, and any additional repairs.

I would say with $ 4.25 gas coming as soon as April people might be looking for a bike to save gas money used in a car.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
The prime selling season for a street bike is right around the corner. Be careful though. Take it for a spin and you might just not want to sell it.

On a second note, biker parties are REALLY CRAZY!!!!!!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Street bike market is pretty funny. Sport bikes in general are usually ridden pretty hard. Tough sells in a tough market. I would think you will always have a larger market for a quad than a sport bike. I can tell you a whole bunch more people with quads than street bikes. Between farmers, hunters, general land owners, off road enthusiasts. . . sport bike markets cater only to those looking for a sport bike. Most of the time a guy is not going to buy a crotch rocket to "save gas". I think I would pass.

One other thought to consider: I am thinking you will sell the quad closer to retail than the sportbike all day long.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Where I'm from, it would easier to sell the quad. But up there, closer to the doucher infested areas Steubenville and "The Valley" just south of you, I'd think you could move a bike pretty fast.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here's the bike. He just texted me a pic.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330020482.359143.jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
You run with a hunting/4 wheeler crowd now.
Do you as many contacts in the 2 wheeler bike crowd?
Just asken...

Duck Commander

Whether you wanna keep it or sell it, I'd go with the bike. There's always the plus of being able to sell it with ease seeing how gas is so high these days and showing no signs of going down anytime soon.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Mike how many miles are on the bike. I ask the question because of what you said about needing a front tire. Street biles will almost always go through 2 back tires for every front. If the back tire was never changed and the front needs a new one then that means one of 2 things.
1. The bike has sat and the tire is dry rotted.
2. He used the front back to due the majority of his stopping and slowing down for turns which would also mean brake pads for the front.

Just some more food for thought.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I totally screwed that one up. I guess i didn't read very closely. Why the heck was I thinking Sport bike? doh

Cruiser crowd is probably growing faster than the sport bike crowd. That is a plus. Metric cruisers are gaining popularity as well. Still not going to draw the crowd an actual Harley will pull though. I don't know. All year long the ATV crowd is thinking of buying. In the next few months the road bike crowd will be thinking about it. I still say stick with the quad. Bigger market. Plus, you have a bunch of knuckleheads getting their tax refund checks back here soon (if they haven't gotten them already). Those with money in their pockets which they did not earn tend to spend it faster. Whatever you have to sell, i recommend craigslisting the crap out of it in multiple areas. Try to recapture as much of your tax dollars you had to contribute as you can Mike! That is generally my goal this time of the year.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mike how many miles are on the bike. I ask the question because of what you said about needing a front tire. Street biles will almost always go through 2 back tires for every front. If the back tire was never changed and the front needs a new one then that means one of 2 things.
1. The bike has sat and the tire is dry rotted.
2. He used the front back to due the majority of his stopping and slowing down for turns which would also mean brake pads for the front.

Just some more food for thought.

See, that's why I ask... because I have no idea. I think I'm going to just hang onto my quad and try to sell it instead of messing with the bike.