Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Taxidermy tip

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
This has been an issue for many of us over the years when it comes to having our deer mounts brought back to life. This is not pointing at any of the taxi's on this site or deer mounts on this site. It's simply an observation over the years to the present.

Measure the distance from the tip of each main beam to the center of the nose and write it down. Make your taxi's aware of the measurement so he can get the skull plate seated as accurately as possible before he proceeds the finishing of your deer. A reputatible taxi should not take this as slap in the face and should want you to be totally happy when he is done. It's only happened to me once and mine was more than happy to correct it for me.

I just wanted to pass this along and hopes it prevents extra work and anguish for others in the future.

Mike R

*Supporting Member*
I agree with finelyshedded 100% but if you are going to take the measurement he explained. Make sure you also take one form the front corner of each eye to the center of each antler burr.This way the skull plate is set to a measurement also. You would be amazed the mounts you see that are not even close.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree with finelyshedded 100% but if you are going to take the measurement he explained. Make sure you also take one form the front corner of each eye to the center of each antler burr.This way the skull plate is set to a measurement also. You would be amazed the mounts you see that are not even close.

Good point WS and thank you for the added info. You're right though, I see alot of mounts that aren't close also but if they're happy then I'm happy.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Yep..thats good advice..It happened to me on my 08 buck.. Tax had the antlers tipped back over 4 inches. He had to cut ,, rip and tilt antlers forward 4 inchs. Make sure you get measurements. I think taxidermist figure we dont pay attention but i do.