Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jesse's Off Season Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Regardless of whether or not I end up bowhunting much this fall, I still have several things in the works this off season. I want to make sure I am prepared to take Tracie on several more bowhunts this fall and that we'll have some great spots for gun season. Last night marked the start of the off season prep as I mixed in some scouting with the final cam check for the next few months. I found a few things to peak my interest, but nothing that really made my blood boil...

I've found better rubs in my day, but this was one of 20+ rubs along this south facing ridge line. I walked 300 yards down the ridge along a small flat, then came back along the field edge and was pretty pleased to see the amount of sign in this area. I have never had a stand in this immediate area, but with the field in corn this year, I will most likely hang a stand near a subtle pinch point about 75 yards from this rub...

On out the shelf from this rub was the best trail on the farm right now. This is an old slip that has settled in the past few years and it seems to be the preferred avenue for reaching our bottom from the ridge. I have a stand located right below this trail that needs tweaked if this trail is going to be the new way down the hillside...

Nothing serious here, but I love seeing cedars rubbed and these ones are every year. I found a great new trail passing through this area that came about thanks to some encroachment from surrounding development. This is on my parents place and it seems the deer may be using this area more than they have in the past few years...

I'll be out Sunday pulling sets so I can take inventory of what I have and how I want to proceed from here. I'm working on getting Hippie Ridge under lease and closing off all the easy routes in/out of the property. I'm also looking at a couple new properties that have not be hunted in the past few years, so I'm hoping they will be my new doe spots. We eat 2-4 deer a year, so I need to find some huntable populations this spring/summer to prevent the freezer getting empty! As of today, it appears I'll have 5-6 places to hunt this year with three of them being buck only. There will be no doe killing on the farm or my parents with the exception of Tracie with a bow; and then, only one total. The main goal for the upcoming season is to get her on two deer with her bow...

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I did the same thing this past weekend. It's a great time of year to learn more about the areas we hunt. It'll pay off come fall, and you know you will be out there. Once it's in your blood there is no turning back, even if it is frustrating sometimes!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It's just plain awesome to get out and scout this time of year! All the sign is fresh, there's no worry about spooking game... You just get out there and walk, and take it all in. Good stuff man!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How's the new food plot machine?

Good. Part of what I need to decide in the next month or so is what and where I am planting this year. I may plant everything early this year and focus more on perennials than I have in the past. I love to management the habitat at the farm, so I don't want to stop that. What I have eliminated is the thought from my head that all my hard work on plots and management, will result in big bucks. It can, but it is no longer something I will except. All of that is part of my new take on things. More focus on the enjoyment and less on the end result...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good. Part of what I need to decide in the next month or so is what and where I am planting this year. I may plant everything early this year and focus more on perennials than I have in the past. I love to management the habitat at the farm, so I don't want to stop that. What I have eliminated is the thought from my head that all my hard work on plots and management, will result in big bucks. It can, but it is no longer something I will except. All of that is part of my new take on things. More focus on the enjoyment and less on the end result...

That's EXACTLY where your head needs to be, dude. Whatever happens, happens... You'll enjoy yourself no matter what.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It will be a constant struggle, but I feel like I'm in a good place right now and I want to continue on with that. My whole drive this year is to have fun outdoors regardless of what I am doing. I took on trapping. I'm hunting yotes more often. For once, I am pumped for turkey season and to fish. I'll be bowfishing for the first time this year as well. Now that I have a boat and waterfowling grounds, that will rescue me from whatever Hell my deer season is in. I have a feeling it will be a great year!!!

Duck Commander

That's exactly right Jesse. When you focus on end-game results too much, it starts to seem like a job and every job eventually becomes unenjoyable. Nothing regarding the outdoors should ever become unenjoyable to anyone.

To each their own...and good luck to those that choose that path...whatever that path may be. :smiley_clap:

My off season "work" will consist of several 3D shoots, practise with the broadhead of choice for this year, spread a few apples along the trail where I intend to set up my treestand and wait for the critter to walk by. :smiley_blink:

I get less and less picky about the rack size and more and more about the full body size for the meat, as each year passes. I guess I don't like eating tag soup vs. waiting for the biggin'. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Jesse, you might want to make notes on what you find this time of year. I always say I'm going to, but never do. By the time I go setting stands, I've forgotten havlf the good things I found in winter and spring...only to re-discover again next winter!:)

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm in the same process right now, Jesse. I'm still learning the property I'm hunting and a few walks the past few weekends have educated me a bit.
The trails right now are so evident it's almost like cows are using them. I too found a slip that connects one side of the property to the other and helps explain how the action I was getting on camera is getting back and forth. I just wish I knew of this slip sooner. I can't wait to hunt it in the fall.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jesse, you might want to make notes on what you find this time of year. I always say I'm going to, but never do. By the time I go setting stands, I've forgotten havlf the good things I found in winter and spring...only to re-discover again next winter!:)

I have this exact same problem... It's so frustrating... No matter how many times I tell myself to do it, I almost never do. Must be similar to how my wife feels when she tells me what's on the honey-do list. lmao

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Jesse..

I mean no offense...but I personally feel your are throwing away money on these green food plots that offer absolutely No cover.. There;s one thing ive learned and that is.."Cover is king'.. If i were to plant anything..it would be corn. Why?. It is prefered food come november and throughout the rest of the season. 2nd. Its instant cover. Corn grows to 10 feet tall in one growing season. There ya have it..An instant food source that mimics a thick clearcut...but even better its corn ..an excellent attractant of carbohydrates. Seriously...Think about putting corn in ..You get the best of both worlds.

Cover Is King.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jesse..

I mean no offense...but I personally feel your are throwing away money on these green food plots that offer absolutely No cover.. There;s one thing ive learned and that is.."Cover is king'.. If i were to plant anything..it would be corn. Why?. It is prefered food come november and throughout the rest of the season. 2nd. Its instant cover. Corn grows to 10 feet tall in one growing season. There ya have it..An instant food source that mimics a thick clearcut...but even better its corn ..an excellent attractant of carbohydrates. Seriously...Think about putting corn in ..You get the best of both worlds.

Cover Is King.

There's only one problem, Mtnr... If you plant corn, you need the plots to be BIG for it to be worth a damn. Down in those hills, the coons will decimate a small corn patch in no time flat. I agree with you that corn would be really effective, but sometimes it's just not feasible.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
There's only one problem, Mtnr... If you plant corn, you need the plots to be BIG for it to be worth a damn. Down in those hills, the coons will decimate a small corn patch in no time flat. I agree with you that corn would be really effective, but sometimes it's just not feasible.

Yep. I don't disagree that corn is the ticket. But why plant 2-3 acres max on my place when there will be 100 acres within a 1/2 mile walk. I need variety on my farm. I am attempting alfalfa and clover this year, along with winter wheat. They love all three, but they're hard to find close to our farm.

I'm looking at ways to create cover TOO. Might plant some pines and drop some trees this year as well...

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Well...I think the major problem with green food plots is that they dont provide cover. It still doesnt solve the major problem of mature bucks showing up in daylight hours. I think green food plots are tricky and i firmly beleive the older bucks associate these types of plots as "daylight danger areas"...and they avoid em only to show up at night.

JB...The coons wouldnt deter me to grow corn. Sure..they will knock stalks over here and there but actually thats good..it will create more of a jungle effect. It will be a thicket of standing corn..fallen corn but it will still provide cover. I would plant the corn as tight as i could knowing the coons will be coming...Im telln ya it wil be a maze(no pun intended) of food and cover come November.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
No..Im taking prescription meds right now..However...Id plant corn. Trust me..They will come and they will feel comfortable about it...It wont solve the problem of the nocturnal crap that goes on but it will help tremendously.

However, once corn is planted..No trail cams..No visiting the plot..No checking up on it..No early season hunts...Let it alone and hit it hard come late October and November. You got to have the element of surprise...If you dont have it..All your hard work will be for nothing.

The last thing that mature buck must think when he enters that corn food plot and senses your presence is.."Oh Shit..whats he doing here."

Last edited: