Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Egg smell

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
When we run the washer it smells like rotten eggs in the basement. The washer dumps into the basin sink. When I do a water change in my tank, water goes down the same drain and does not smell so I don't think it's the drain. The washer is an upright newer model. WTH?:smiley_confused_vra

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Run a couple loads of nothing through the washer and add bleach to the bleach drawer, and to the detergent drawer

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If that doesn't do it, then I have another thought. Is it just the washer? Do you smell it with any other hot water running? If so, then sometimes the anode rod in your hot water tank can do this.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If that doesn't do it, then I have another thought. Is it just the washer? Do you smell it with any other hot water running? If so, then sometimes the anode rod in your hot water tank can do this.

I was going to say the same thing... Good call, Phil.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Yes that is sometes the case. The only way to get rid of the smell is to rempve the anpde rod, which in most cases voids any warranty on the tank.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yes that is sometes the case. The only way to get rid of the smell is to rempve the anpde rod, which in most cases voids any warranty on the tank.

You can also attempt to disinfect the inside of the hot water tank with a solution of bleach or peroxide... that would kill the odor-causing bacteria. If you're going to remove the anode rod, consider replacing it with a zinc/aluminum alloy anode rod.

Here's a good article about it...
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pa...ooting/stinky-water-in-hot-water-heaters.html

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
It's just when the washer drains. I did some reading and it definitely sounds like the source is a stinky washer. Thanks for all of the replies.

Huckleberry Finn

You guys know more about crap I know nothing about than anyone I know. This site is where I come to get my education.

Well, we've got a few amateur attorneys, an environmental guy, couple IT guys, an HVAC/plummer, landscapers, oil guys, engineers, and some plain out professionals in common sense. Don't worry, I need to order some new contacts soon and I'll start a thread and you can sound like the professional you are!

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
The finances of the eyeball business would put all of you to sleep in a hurry. My job is not near as entertaining as the stuff you guys are into. I mean you solve real world problems like washing machines that smell like eggs. I just talk to our staff all day about making sure they make Deerburger's life easy. But, thanks to this place I know about fracking, making washing machines stink free, Joe's crazy love life, Phil's thorough automobile purchasing processes, and a bunch of other crap I never would have known.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Mike. But, I am glad to know how to get rid of eggy smell in my washer if it ever happens. You dudes are awesome.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The finances of the eyeball business would put all of you to sleep in a hurry. My job is not near as entertaining as the stuff you guys are into. I mean you solve real world problems like washing machines that smell like eggs. I just talk to our staff all day about making sure they make Deerburger's life easy. But, thanks to this place I know about fracking, making washing machines stink free, Joe's crazy love life, Phil's thorough automobile purchasing processes, and a bunch of other crap I never would have known.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Mike. But, I am glad to know how to get rid of eggy smell in my washer if it ever happens. You dudes are awesome.

lmao! I am ready to bid on a couple of International dump trucks right now too! Stick around brother. I think there is more money to be made swapping equipment than there is using it in an actual business anymore. Just a matter of finding the guy that ran his business into the ground, buying the equipment, and selling to the guy that makes money with it. lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You guys know more about crap I know nothing about than anyone I know. This site is where I come to get my education.

I tell people all the time when pimping the site: "If you have a question and can't get a good answer regardless of the topic, then there is no answer to said question!"