Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2012 Hickslawns Shed Thread

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Feb 20-2012

Took my nephew Geoffrey out tonight. We were out a little over an hour. Estimated walk of 2 miles or so. Pulled a camera that has been giving me pink pictures all fall. Going to send it back in for repair. Had a few bucks on there, but all deer seemed to be carrying still. Checked for rubs, trails, shed antlers, and any signs which might help me next season.

Geoffrey found a turkey feather and three golf balls. He was pumped up. Seemed like every 5 minutes he was yelling across the woods at me to "Come see this Uncle Phil!" I need to keep telling myself he has never been exposed to anything like this so I must be patient. Showed him some rubs and what to look for in a deer trail. Pointed out some tracks along the creek and asked him what they belonged to. His answer was either raccoon or squirrel. He was right. Raccoon it is. I will get this young man up to speed a little bit at a time. Much rather see him in the woods than in the hoods.

Here is Geoffrey holding his turkey feather with his left hand at the top of a decent rub. Not massive, but fairly tall.

Attachments

• Geoffrey with rub and turkey feather.jpg
    Geoffrey with rub and turkey feather.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 250

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good stuff Phil. He's gonna dig being outdoors with Uncle Phil!!!

I'm hoping to get out this weekend to pull cams, coyote hunt, and look for sheds while in the process of the latter two. I might be the worlds worst shed finder, but I'm bound to get lucky at some point right?!? :smiley_blackeye:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Phil, just an idea here, but you should plant a shed or 2 ahead of time and make sure he walks close enough to see and find it.....then when he does you can be all excited with him and chances are he will be hooked. Just an idea though. Good luck!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Phil, just an idea here, but you should plant a shed or 2 ahead of time and make sure he walks close enough to see and find it.....then when he does you can be all excited with him and chances are he will be hooked. Just an idea though. Good luck!

Awesome idea Chad! This is a great story in the making Phil. Keep up the great work!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio

I'm hoping to get out this weekend to pull cams, coyote hunt, and look for sheds while in the process of the latter two. I might be the worlds worst shed finder, but I'm bound to get lucky at some point right?!? :smiley_blackeye:

When I first started looking for sheds, I couldn't find one if there was Puzzy wrapped around it..........took me 2 years but I just kept after it until it started coming more natural. After a rain or a melt off is the best time for me when the leaves are dark. My buddy swears by using Aviation glasses.....Haven't tried that one yet.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio

Ding! Ding! Ding! :smiley_clap:

Beat me to it Gern. I just did that with my daughter yesterday and man was she pumped!! She wanted to go out again today because they didn't have school. Talk about lighting a fire after walking a few miles. Her little legs got juiced right back up. Plus her big brother got ticked and started looking even harder once little sister had her shed!! :smiley_crocodile:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

thanks Jesse and gang! In regards to cams and sheds, my main objective was to pull a cam. I saw a decent buck (possible shooter next year) on this property last week from the road holding on to both sides. Checked the camera card when we got back and had 3 bucks holding both sides within the last three days. My point is just don't get discouraged if you don't find any yet Jesse. Might be a touch early.

Great idea on planting the sheds. I walked him through an area where I have found several to include my first shed ever. I walked miles and miles before I found the first one and I was coyote hunting when I just about tripped over that first one. lmao

Huck- Don't be a hater. Next time we go out, if you want to tag along I will let you join us. Heck, I will even let you call me "Uncle Phil". When we are done (and I am tired of listening to you complain about your legs hurting and you asking me to carry you), I will even take you back to the house for some hot chocolate. :smiley_crocodile:rotflmao

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
That is some good stuff Phil. If he shows a big liking to the outdoors then you might think about letting him try out the Boy Scouts. Lots of outdoors activities there if you can find the right troop.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Tee the kid up for success - outSTANDING damned idea.
And in fifteen years, after the kid has found over a thousand sheds, and he's telling the story of his first shed, you can tell him the truth and it'll be a Kodak moment.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Hey Phil,

If you are walking around shed hunting and you come across one of these.......make sure you pick it up before Geoffrey does!

:smiley_crocodile:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Awesome reminder Chad! Thanks for the heads up. This should get my 2012 shed thread off to a great start. lmao

Much rather find my own sunglasses than. . . ahhh. . . ummm . . . errr. . . your find Chad.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I didn't touch it man! I think I will go back and find it this year and mail it to a special lady........:smiley_chinrub: