Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A single shot kind of day.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I guess it's no secret by now I'm a gun nut. Now I like all kinds of guns but I do have my favorites kinds. At the top of my list are single shot rifles and side by side shotguns. Tomorrow I'm taking one of my SxS shotguns to shoot sporting clays at a new course that just opened. Just so the rifles don't feel left out...

I had a little time this afternoon so I got out a couple of my Ruger #1s and warmed up the barrels. The first is an early 25-06 #1V with a Litchert 15X scope. The rifle was designed for the older style externally adjusted scope. There are only 2 sets of holes in the barrel and they are spaced for this type of scope. Using a scope like this takes some getting used to. It has a short eye relief and small field of view. Great for targets and groundhogs and shooting on nice dry days.

The second is one I bought during the winter that someone spent a bunch of money on to rebarrel to .470 Nitro Express. Since CJD won't sell me that Gibbs I "settled" for this.

For perspective I lined up a round loaded with a 500 grain soft point and Barnes 500 grain bullet and a loaded .22-250.
Here's the exit wounds on an old propane tank from 50 yards with the soft points.

Recoil is maybe a little more then a 12 gauge slug. You know it went off but recoil is tolerable.

Huckleberry Finn

I can honestly say that I've never seen a scope like that! That's sweet.

And the second gun looks like a fine rifle the next time your local African-species keeper decides to open the gates...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
You sure have some fine iron there Sam.
As usual, Very nice wood on the Gibbs substitute. :)

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Couple of beauties there Sam! My nephew Geoffrey is leaning over my shoulder checking them out as well. His comment was "Dang! That is a nice gun! Look at that scope." Scope got my attention as well. don't see them like that too often. Not sure I have ever seen one like that.

Ohiosam,
A former co-worker of mine had a Winchester model 52 (target .22 rimfire) with a simular scope, but his was a Unertl 36x.

Using the soft point ammo shown in the pic, that .470 Nitro Express would make a fine coyote rifle. :smiley_blink:
Talk about the Hammer of Thor...wow! :smiley_coolpeace:

Bowhunter57

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I have 3 rifles with external adjusting scopes.
This is the most unusual, a Mossberg L43 lefty with the very rare lefthand scope mounts.

Here is my Stevens 44, 22lr with a Lyman 438 scope. This scope needs new crosshairs, someone "fixed" it sometime and the crosshairs are too thick.

Unertl is probably the most desirable of the external adjustables, they regularly sell for $500-1000 on Ebay.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Ohiosam,
A former co-worker of mine had a Winchester model 52 (target .22 rimfire) with a simular scope, but his was a Unertl 36x.

Bowhunter57

Speak of the devil, a buddy of mine brought his 52B with a Lyman tonight to sight in. We both help coach a 4H rifle team.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Just not made like that anymore. It is a cliche for a reason...

Great guns Sam. One day my late model guns will be cool like your "vintage" ones are now. Anymore a gun with handwork/fitting, real wood, and deep blueing is so cost prohibitive to own as a consumer we are loosing some...um...heritage for lack of a better descriptive word.