Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Going out in the morn

LonewolfNopack

The woods
My buddy and I are heading out in the morning. I believe that most bucks are still holding in my area, but he is chomping at the bit to be out there, and so am I. We have mainly just been walking boundaries, scouting etc...I wont get serious about it until mid march. Just hard for my heart to be into finding them when I know many are still holding. I'll report back tomorrow.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Goodluck! I'm heading out to a new farm I just got permission on! Gotta meet the landowner first at 9:30am so it means very little sleep when I get home in the morning. I've got a good feeling though.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I saw a group of 7 bucks the other day. They all had at least one still on their head. The two biggest had both sides. That was the most bucks I have ever seen together, and it was pretty sweet. Good luck tomorrow!

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Thank fellows. My buddy and I tried to make it our mission to gain access to as many places as possible to shed hunt this year. We have been knocking on doors and making phone calls for almost a month now, and will continue to do so until March. For some reason I had it in my head that most people would allow us to look for sheds on their land, boy was I wrong!! It is much harder than I thought it would be. I go out of my way to make sure I make the best impression on all landowners that I come into contact with, but others that have come before me have left a black eye in many instances it seems. Either that or they claim to shed hunt themselves. We have gained close to 800 private acres to shed hunt though that we didn't have before, so I can not complain. I have been working with my Weimaraner since May to try to get her to find sheds. She is more interested in chasing bunnies and exploring new ground though. She's still a puppy I will keep at it. We are currently in the process of making a shed hunting film. Nothing serious, just something to have fun with that we will try to show the madness of our passion of shed hunting. Here is the first segment of the year. I am hoping for many more. I wasn't expecting to find anything and didn't even bring the tripod, so sorry if you get sea sick. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ieR-YbTYMs

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yeah, join the club! That's the response I get all to often. We/I/ or other family members hunt them or some asshat fugged it up before me and they don't allow it anymore. I guess it's easier to say NO.lol

800 private acres is awesome though...Goodluck!

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Well that did not go expected at all. We got out early to a 500 acre farm that my friend has recently got us permission on. It is in one of the few areas that still has a recognizable deer herd in my county. No sooner do we pull off the road and start glassing deer with the binos, a truck pulls up beside us. It turns out to be the landowners son, and he was extremely ticked off that his father had given us permission. He wanted us to leave so we did. What a jerk. Talk about a punch in the nut sack to start the season.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dang, sorry to hear that about losing the property before you got to check it!

Nice work, Chad. Got pics? I have only found a handful in my life, but don't really look for them seriously. I usually just get a few while turkey hunting.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I ended up walking over 5 miles just mostly hitting the perimeters of large harvested fields and jutting thru some fingers, fencerows and thick sloughs occasionally. Took my youngest daughter with me the first part of the day and she lasted about three hours and we found 1 old chewed up one. Then I dropped her off at the house and went back out for another couple hours and found another year old chew toy! Fugg! Still got some much needed exercise!

Last edited: