Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ready for some time on the water!

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Well, after talking about it for two years, I finally got around to purchasing my first Kayak. I wanted something that was small and easy to haul around, because most of the places I fish are "off the beaten path." I'd been going back and forth between a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 and a Malibu Mini-X, but I was hesitant to purchase either because I wanted to see one in person before dropping that kind of cash. The wife and I were in Marietta one evening last month, and decided to eat at a Mexican Restaurant on 2nd Street. Right next to the restaurant was a shop and in the window it said "Coming soon, Marietta Adventure Company." On a rack in the window was a Wilderness System Tarpon 120. At that instant, I decided that was the boat I would be buying.

I ended up getting in contact with the shop owner, a guy by the name of Ryan Smith, and exchanging quite a few emails with him about Kayaks. I was bummed to hear that his shop wouldn't be open until April, but he offered to place an order for me if I was interested. I met with him one day to check the Tarpon 120 out in person, and went ahead and had him order me the smaller version, the Tarpon 100. I got the phone call Tuesday evening that the Kayak was ready for pick-up, and made the trip to town yesterday to bring her home.

I can not wait for it to warm up some so I can get it out on the water and give it a try. I'm looking forward to many trips to AEP this spring, and getting out on some of the back waters and creeks just enjoying the scenery.

The only extra stuff I picked up yesterday for it was the two rod holders, but I plan on adding a few more things before it's all said and done. Didn't want to purchase a bunch of accessories then figure out I'd never use them. I figure I will pick up two flush mount rod holders,a couple dry storage bags and a few other odds and ends. Messing around with it a little last night, I found I could store all my rods in the hull via the front hatch for transportation, so now I just need to build a cart for hauling this thing around.

If you are in the market for a Kayak, look up Ryan Smith at Marietta Adventure Company. His prices are very fair and he's a great guy to deal with. Check him out on Facebook also!

Here's my Tarpon 100 in Camo

Fluteman,
You have an outstanding kayak there, my friend! You're gonna love getting on the water with that machine. :smiley_bril:

The only drawback to flushmount rod holders is that the rods are in the way for casting. You might be farther ahead to find a way to use the small bungie cords and strap them along the sides of the kayak, instead.

A fishfinder is a good "add on", to a kayak. I am so glad that I purchased mine. I purchased the base model Eagle 350c (color model) and never leave home without it. The transducer can be mounted inside the kayak...on the bottom of the hull, as it will read through the plastic. You'll have to use some duct seal (electrical putty [about $2] that's used for sealing off electrical plumbing) to adhere the transducer to the bottom. The secret to mounting it this way is to NOT getting any air bubbles between the transducer and the hull.

I wish I lived closer to the AEP lands, as there are some great fishing to be had there. :smiley_depressive:

Bowhunter57

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
BH,
That is one if the reasons I didn't go ahead and purchase the flush mount rod holders, as I figured they would be in the way. With the Tarpon having the slide trax system, I can always buy several rod holders and mount them directly to those. That way I can move them around and if I don't like them, I can take them off without having holes everywhere. . The only part about the trax is you have to buy a universal mount which is $25 bucks a piece. I'm gonna try and find someone to machine a few of them for me if possible.

As for the fish finder, I have a portable box unit hummingbird that is 10+ years old, but would do the trick. I could also find a way to mount it to the slide trax. I figure that would work just fine for what I need it for.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Very nice Greg! Wish I had time to use the boat behind my shop. I think we took it out once last year. Hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it! Ever think of videoing yourself catching carp with a flyrod? I heard that is the cool thing to do in a kayak. lmao

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
If only I knew how to fly fish...Maybe one day I will take that step towards becoming an elite fisherman. Maybe then I can earn the title of "Masterbaiter."

I think there is suppose to be a space in there somewhere. lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If only I knew how to fly fish...Maybe one day I will take that step towards becoming an elite fisherman. Maybe then I can earn the title of "Masterbaiter."

:smiley_crocodile::smiley_clap::smiley_crocodile:

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio

I dont even know how to fish...put a worm on a hook and throw it in. Thats all I know how to do.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
That looks good Greg!! You'll love paddling around in that thing & getting to fish in some of those remote spots that a bank fisherman just can't get to. I'm looking forward to getting the canoe back out this spring. Come on warm weather!!

epe

Lancaster
Nice! I just wish you hadn't mentioned Mexican on 2nd street in marietta. I'm assuming it is Tampicos? Yummy!! Is the sports store going in the old zides store?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Nice! I just wish you hadn't mentioned Mexican on 2nd street in marietta. I'm assuming it is Tampicos? Yummy!! Is the sports store going in the old zides store?

Yup, Tampicos is the place. If you are looking at the restaurant, it is the next place on the right. It use to be a dance studio. He is selling Kayaks and Bicycles. Hope he does real well with his business.

J, it will go on the back. I'm gonna wire in a Bluetooth unit to it and sync a Playstation controller with it for steering and throttle control. Hells yeah!