Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Reducing deer browsing

LonewolfNopack

The woods
This may have already been covered somewhere, if so please point me in the right direction. I am looking for some ideas on how to reduce the deer damage due to browsing the buds and new growth on tree saplings. I have in mind an enclosure of some sorts, such as turkey wire around the tree, but I am not sure how high or how far from the sapling the wire would have to be in order to to effectively reduce the damage. I can see how easy it would be for a deer to reach over the wire and still browse the tree if it wasn't the correct deminsions.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
You can try hanging small bars of pungent smelling soap from the limbs. This is what we used to do on my parents farm when they planted new trees. The bucks like to rub on them. The brand they used was "Sweetheart". It stunk like old lady perfume. It would be similar to this.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Thanks for the replys fellows.

Milo, that would work to stop deer from rubbing tree, but I need something for browsing. I already have pvc fitted around to stop rubbing.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Thanks for the replys fellows.

Milo, that would work to stop deer from rubbing tree, but I need something for browsing. I already have pvc fitted around to stop rubbing.

then you have to plant more food that they want to eat other than trees. I have not had a browsing problem with these in use. I have them around 200 trees or so.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Milo, I got yah.

Thats the problem I am running into. I only have a small area to work with, and very few trees planted. I could see if you had mass number of trees you would have a better survival rate.
The ones I planted last year were almost destroyed within a week. I put a trail cam over them and the same doe and two fawns came and browsed them almost every day.