Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1st dead head

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
found my first evr dead head while puting out trail cams with redcloud this afternoon.

its a shame. had a nice bladed beam on his left side. would have been a nice deer in a couple years.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Question: Are you sure this wasn't a buck on his way down hill? I guess I just never noticed too many young deer with the palmation on the main beams. Maybe some of the more experienced guys will chime in. Guess it doesn't matter now. Dead either way.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Question: Are you sure this wasn't a buck on his way down hill? I guess I just never noticed too many young deer with the palmation on the main beams. Maybe some of the more experienced guys will chime in. Guess it doesn't matter now. Dead either way.

The teeth looked like maybe a 2.5 year old at the most. Still rather pointy and sharp edges on the cusps. I figure it had been laying there dead maybe a month or 2 at the most. Couldn't find anything around as far as an arrow but who knows what he died from. Could have been hit by a car, clean pass through with an arrow, gun shot so who knows. The yote had him eaten pretty good so anything is possible at this point.

I will go back tomorrow and grab the bottom jaw and see what I can find out. Really didn't look very close at it at the time to be 100% positive

Last edited:

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I will go back tomorrow and grab the bottom jaw and see what I can find out. Really didn't look very close at it at the time to be 100% positive

I looked pretty close at the teeth on the bottom jaw. They were pretty sharp. not much wear at all.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Good find dante. Went on a walk today with no luck.

Definitely looks like a young buck. The snout doesn't look to long like a mature buck would have.