Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snow on the ground- bring on the yotes

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Got my guys out salting. Just finished some paperwork. Yes, it is 130am on a Friday night. Yes, I am a loser. Now it is time for another meal, a pot of coffee, and some coyote hunting! Bring it on you dirty dogs! Upper teens, prime breeding time, and snow on the ground! I am pumped!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well. I finished up my invoicing. My buddy showed up to call some yotes with me. We were out and we were skunked. -5 degrees with windchill. We think the problem was too much wind. Other than wind, we had some seemingly perfect sets. Didn't see a dog. Never heard one either. 15-20mph winds throughout the weekend. Unless you are trapping, snaring, or chasing them on foot, it is not real ideal. I guess pretty much every method except calling them should be fair game through the weekend. lol

Not a bad night either way. Enjoy the challenge of calling coyotes with a good friend. When we were finished, we were calling our guys in to plow and salt. Timing of when we finished was perfect.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Great getting out.... glad you had fun with it Phil..... I'm really curious about all the snaring and all and need too do some homework on it.... I hope too make it out after rabbit season for some sits....

I've never done any snaring, as when I was running a trap line, snares were illegal (late 70s). I love and prefer calling, but the success rate is the lowest for the 3 types of taking coyotes.
Highest to lowest success:
* Snaring/trapping.
* Driving.
* Calling.

I'm with "J", I need to learn a lot more about it, but I think it would become addictive once it was learned.

Bowhunter57

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Going out tomorrow afternoon her around the house to try and knock a few off. Next week, I'm gonna try to get out a few evenings in a few other places to knock a few down...maybe...

Good luck if you get back out Phil!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks guys. Debating whether to head out right now or not. Basically got 1.5hrs sleep which was interrupted by 4 phone calls this morning. Had to take the calls as it was the guys and I was directing traffic to different parking lots. So. . . worked all day yesterday. Paperwork until 2am. Coyote hunted until 430am. Directed traffic and dispatched trucks/equipment operators until around 7am. Slept from 7-830am with 4 calls interrupting. Been rolling all day. Basketball game for Garrett. Lunch with my family and Erin's brother's family. Drove around checking on parking lots to be sure they were clear. Home to haul firewood. We have a 2.5yd bucket on the big skid loader that I filled 3 times and hauled firewood in while I could since the ground was frozen. Hmmm. . . I think I am going to go make a pot of coffee. Not going to kill them sitting here on TOO whining about not sleeping. lmao

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well, I am a glutton. Just wish we had some pictures to show for it. I hit a big one. It ran off yelping onto a property we do not have permission to pursue. Left it. Made 4 more stands after this. Skunked at first two sets. Wind was still whipping pretty good at this time. Made the 3 stand. Three of us hunting at this point as we picked up another buddy. We had limited shooting lanes due to it being a more populated area. I had decided to run the call and not shoot unless it was right in front of me. I fire up the caller. Not 20-30 seconds into calling I hear a shot. I scratch my head as it was behind me. Like I said, small shooting lanes. I wasn't even looking that way due to how we were positioned. I honestly thought the buddy of mine we had just picked up had an accidental discharge. I was starting to question my inviting him along. I flipped to the ki-yi's. Nothing. Mixed up the caller for another 15-20min. Nothing. Walking out we chatted. Sure enough, 20-30sec into calling, I had pulled in a yote. He was coming hard. Unfortunately, the shooter missed. Later noticed his scope mount was loose. Had he and the other guy been closer, he would have known hunter 3 had a 40yd shot with the shotgun and was ready to squeeze the trigger. Oh well. Better to hunt, see yotes, and miss than to get skunked I guess. Made the last stand on my new property. Really perfect conditions by this point. Wind had settled. It was cold and calm. Heard one yote respond to the calls 3 times. He wasn't coming. He sounded like he was in the next country block over.

5 sets. Shots at 2 coyotes. Overall, not a bad night.

Now for the fun part. My buddy has a Suzuki Samurai jacked up with floatation tires. That was our access vehicle for the night. Not comfy for three guys and guns, but accessing a couple of the properties it was as good as having a UTV. My property is 1/3mile deep. My best spot to call is at the rear of the property. We drove that thing straight thru the trail on the woods. Lots of laughs, couple of shots, and an enjoyable time with friends. Doesn't get much better fellas! (I did finally get to sleep at 2am. Woke up at noon when my lovely wife had brought me coffee, sausage, an omelet and english muffin in bed. God, you have blessed me!)

tuffshot

The Crew
The yotes are really moving, being on the road this past week I have counted at least 15 yotes hit by vehicles in several states.
Even the skunks are out early this year with the warmer weather.