Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sleep Cycles and the Moon

Huckleberry Finn

Is it true that the full moon affects your sleep cycle? I am tired as a dog but the last two nights I haven't been able to fall asleep until 3 and 4, and that's laying in bed for 2 or 3 hours, watching tv, music on, both off, etc... and getting up at 7 dog tired...

I need a nightcap...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Some people are affected more than others.
Just ask anyone working in an ER. They will tell you the crazies come out w/ the full moon.

Schu72

Streetsboro
I'm somewhat of an insomniac. I've had 2 sleep studies and was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and restless leg syndrome. I was trialed a cpap machine but could not tolerate it. Tried several different medications over the last year or so none of which worked until my doc had me try Ambien. I had heard quite a few bad stories about people hallucinating and doing all sorts of weird shit while on it, but i sleep like a baby and wake up with no "hangover". I only take it when I really feel like I need it. It has been a God send.

Huckleberry Finn

I'm somewhat of an insomniac. I've had 2 sleep studies and was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and restless leg syndrome. I was trialed a cpap machine but could not tolerate it. Tried several different medications over the last year or so none of which worked until my doc had me try Ambien. I had heard quite a few bad stories about people hallucinating and doing all sorts of weird shit while on it, but i sleep like a baby and wake up with no "hangover". I only take it when I really feel like I need it. It has been a God send.

Do you have to get a set number of hours of sleep? My schedule is too flexible for that, for now.

--

As for the sleep apena, I know my brother has it. Fugger snores like a horse and then stops breathing and starts again. Multiple times a night.

And no comments about me snoring either hahaha those of you that have crashed with me or shared a campsite know that I can saw some logs!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Ernie is a snoring mother fucker! :smiley_blackeye:

I cannot shut off the engine at night. My mind is constantly on full alert; running like a redskin from Tatonka. Then when I do fall asleep after an hour or two, I wake up every hour or so. The only good sleep I get is when I'm tanked or when I can sleep until noon. I always wake up tired and never want to get out of bed. I'm consistently late for work because of it. There is something wrong with me and I'm not far from getting it checked out...

Schu72

Streetsboro
Do you have to get a set number of hours of sleep? My schedule is too flexible for that, for now.

--

As for the sleep apena, I know my brother has it. Fugger snores like a horse and then stops breathing and starts again. Multiple times a night.

And no comments about me snoring either hahaha those of you that have crashed with me or shared a campsite know that I can saw some logs!

I live on about 5.5 -6.5 hour of sleep/night or at least that's the amount of time I'm in bed. I can take the Ambien as late as midnight and get up at 5:30 without being in a fog. My problems ranged from not being able to fall asleep (sometimes I could lay there for hours before nodding off) to falling asleep but waking every hour on the hour. Ambien puts me out, period.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Ernie is a snoring mother fucker! :smiley_blackeye:

I cannot shut off the engine at night. My mind is constantly on full alert; running like a redskin from Tatonka. Then when I do fall asleep after an hour or two, I wake up every hour or so. The only good sleep I get is when I'm tanked or when I can sleep until noon. I always wake up tired and never want to get out of bed. I'm consistently late for work because of it. There is something wrong with me and I'm not far from getting it checked out...

Dude, that was me for most of my life...litterally for as long as I remember, even as a child.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I thought I was the only one. I too have the restless leg syndrome but find if I fall asleep before it starts I'm alright. I get home from work at 3:10am, brush my teeth and drink the prescribed dosage of NyQuil and in 45 min. I start getting sleepy. This has helped me but I hate having to rely on NyQuil though, but laying there while my legs switch and jerk SUCKS ASS!lol

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Just get this and you will be alright at work........

Schu72

Streetsboro
Ric...I've gone through that was well. Did nightly Benadryl, but hated how lethargic I would feel in the morning. Nyquil has Doxylamine which is a short acting sedative. Used that quite a bit as well....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Dude, that was me for most of my life...litterally for as long as I remember, even as a child.

It has been weighing heavily on me for a while now. I have also been that way for as long as I can remember. I need sleep, but I have trouble getting it. For some reason, I sleep the best from 6AM until 10:30-11 or so. Last night I took 3 generic sleeping pills and drank a beer at 8:30. I watched TV for an hour without getting sleepy, so I shut it off and turned on some classical music. I laid there until I got up to pee at midnight and feel asleep shortly thereafter. I woke up 5 times before the alarm when off. I hit the snooze every 9 minutes from 6:45 to 7:50 this morning before I could drag my ass out of bed. I was 15 minutes late for work for the third time this week. I have got to do something about it. I know I have to get up, but I can't. It is almost like someone physically holding me down at times...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Most of my issues is "shutting down" for the night. I can stay up all dang night and seem to be more productive in the night hours than I am during the day!! But with work I have to be up early so staying up light is not an option. I find that if I stick to a routine I can fall asleep easier, keeping a set "bed time" seems to help, but a couple cold ones is my backup plan, seems to make me tired if I'm not already or my mind is running 100mph.

Once I am asleep though, watch out I can sleep for days!! Never been a morning person!!

Schu72

Streetsboro
It has been weighing heavily on me for a while now. I have also been that way for as long as I can remember. I need sleep, but I have trouble getting it. For some reason, I sleep the best from 6AM until 10:30-11 or so. Last night I took 3 generic sleeping pills and drank a beer at 8:30. I watched TV for an hour without getting sleepy, so I shut it off and turned on some classical music. I laid there until I got up to pee at midnight and feel asleep shortly thereafter. I woke up 5 times before the alarm when off. I hit the snooze every 9 minutes from 6:45 to 7:50 this morning before I could drag my ass out of bed. I was 15 minutes late for work for the third time this week. I have got to do something about it. I know I have to get up, but I can't. It is almost like someone physically holding me down at times...

I'd be happy to share my experiences from the testing through all of the meds they have tried me on and what my biggest success have come from. You know how to reach me.

BTW consider removing all stimulants from you diet. No coffee and no cigs.:(

Huckleberry Finn

I can snooze through 3 alarms going off for 45 minutes before getting out of bed. It's a pain in the ass but I swear those few minutes between noises are the best sleep I get all night. OTC sleeping pills don't do anything for me.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I can snooze through 3 alarms going off for 45 minutes before getting out of bed. It's a pain in the ass but I swear those few minutes between noises are the best sleep I get all night. OTC sleeping pills don't do anything for me.

Ask my wife what my retort is to her bitching about me doing that and there is the answer you will get...