Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

i got the sickness

rossbows

I have been reading your guys post about trapping and thought it would be fun. Was on a trappers forum doing some reading and got real pumped about trying it. I got a dozen snares from a friend to give it a shot. I got four out Thursday morning while there was some snow on the ground. I had a blast looking for tracks and setting my snares. Can't wait till I get off work to check them and set four more that I got ready. Will keep you up dated.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Get after it ! I wish you the Best of Luck. As I told Brock, Beware, as it can be addicting. You will know if snaring is for you when you check the last one of the day....and you wish there was more! A lot of excitement is involved checking snares...Especially when you get one alive. Looking forwards to your success. Keep us posted.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good luck man! Diablo is going to come over Saturday afternoon and show me the ropes finally. Last time we were supposed to go out, there was 1/4" of ice all over the place, so I hope we can avoid that this time! The TOO coyote count should start racking up in the next few weeks!!!

rossbows

Thanks guys. Went out and checked the four snares I had out and nothing but its only day one. Got three more put out
And found tracks in the snow so im hoping this weekend with the snow and cold they will move good. Going out in the morning to check them keeping my digits crossed.

Duck Commander

Thanks guys. Went out and checked the four snares I had out and nothing but its only day one. Got three more put out
And found tracks in the snow so im hoping this weekend with the snow and cold they will move good. Going out in the morning to check them keeping my digits crossed.

Don't put out too many or ya might wind up catching yourself!

rossbows

Update have not got anything yet as of Sunday did kick up a rooster scared the hell out of me lol. Going out in the morning to check them out hoping for the best.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good luck man. I set 4 traps with Diablo this weekend and still haven't caught anything. It is a cool feeling of excitement pulling in to visual range of your sets!!!

rossbows

Went out this morning to check my sets and got a nice red. Most have just caught him he was a little up set lol. I had a hell of a time getting him out but I did and he got the hell out of dodge. Im hooked its fun as hell. I hoping to get a nice coyote this week. I have a question for the pros the snare is bent a little and won't hold a circle how do I get it back in shape or is it junk?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Went out this morning to check my sets and got a nice red. Most have just caught him he was a little up set lol. I had a hell of a time getting him out but I did and he got the hell out of dodge. Im hooked its fun as hell. I hoping to get a nice coyote this week. I have a question for the pros the snare is bent a little and won't hold a circle how do I get it back in shape or is it junk?

Depending on how bent it is........ You can bend each bend the other way and sometimes straighten them out. More times than not, they are junk. You can save them and use them for extentions. Or you can cut off the good parts like washer-lock, whammy, swivel and washer to build a snare with later. Most guys will learn to build snares so they can just buy wire and rebuild some with minimal parts ~~ Since you have most parts already.

rossbows

I just ordered two dozen snares and support wire from the snare shop. They have dam good prices can't wait to get them. We have a bunch of pheasant grass that's over my head with a ton of trails in them. Going to make ground stacks and put them all over the fields. Going to need flags so I don't lose them lol.

rossbows

How often do you guys check your snare sets every day every other day ect. I have been checking mine every day but im thinking I might be in there to much and its on foot. Going to start to us the atv.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
How often do you guys check your snare sets every day every other day ect. I have been checking mine every day but im thinking I might be in there to much and its on foot. Going to start to us the atv.

Law requires everyday. once per 24 hours.