Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bald Eagle

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm on my way out of town for work and I'm traveling north on Rt. 7 outside of Newport when I look over and see a bald eagle along the road! I've never seen one in the wild before. I about ran off the road crane necking!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm on my way out of town for work and I'm traveling north on Rt. 7 outside of Newport when I look over and see a bald eagle along the road! I've never seen one in the wild before. I about ran off the road crane necking!!!

lmao Brother, you need to get out more. Take a drive up to the Sandusky Bay area... fuggers are like blackbirds up there! I hear ya, though... No matter how many eagles I've seen over the years, it's always exciting to see another one... especially somewhere you've never seen one before.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Was driving on route 11 between 82 and 80 and saw one the other day and first thoughts were man that's one big hawk lol.... then saw it up closer and caught the white head.... man they are cool to see....

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
We have several right outside Stockport Oh across the road along the Muskingum River. The nest is huge and can be seen easily from 300 yards away from the road. Dang they're awesome to see up close.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
There is a new nesting pair at Magee Marsh...they have closed the trial that they have nested by....I've seen one 100ft off county road D in fulton county near Maumee state forest...it was picking at something that it must have caught...didn't like me watching so it took off.

Congrats on your first wild sighting Jesse!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Couple of years ago saw one on a side road by guilford lake in Columbiana county eating on a road kill.... thought it was strange but a meal is a meal...

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Seen some out here on the proptery and down at the river where I fish, pretty cool. One was crusin out our pound and landed in a big ole tree in Big Bro's back yard.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
There is two nests about a half mile from the ski slope on the mad river. The nests stick out like a sore thumb. I first saw one about three years ago by honda. I didn't at the time know they were even around here...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Last summer I was driving from Lake county east bound into Ashtabula county on Rt. 90. A car about 75 yards ahead of me sort of "flinched" as some big bird flying about 2 stories up dove down and across the path of the car. It looked like he was going to hit it but it pulled up and was banking as I went by. At that point I could see the white head clearly. Wow. A Eagle.!

Then I started to think; what if the guy had killed it by accident out there on the highway. Would he feel like shit for killing our national symbol...idn

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Last summer I was driving from Lake county east bound into Ashtabula county on Rt. 90. A car about 75 yards ahead of me sort of "flinched" as some big bird flying about 2 stories up dove down and across the path of the car. It looked like he was going to hit it but it pulled up and was banking as I went by. At that point I could see the white head clearly. Wow. A Eagle.!

Then I started to think; what if the guy had killed it by accident out there on the highway. Would he feel like shit for killing our national symbol...idn

Jim,

I saw one this fall along 90 by Grand River. I was driving out to Ashtabula for an afternoon hunt and he was flying just north of the bridge there.

Jesse, that is good stuff that it was your first one. I saw my first a few years ago sitting right on the should of 86 running through the Southern Tier of NY. He took off as we were about 30 yards away...dang was he big.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
There was no mistaking what it was that's for sure. He was sitting at the top of a dead tree in a marshy area. I always check that area for ducks since its no more than a mile north of my new duck spot and I caught the white on my first glance. A double take left no doubt what it was. It stuck out like a sore thumb!!!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Seen one of the local eagles flying the river while in my tree stand this fall. Was a first for me and one helluva sight. We have seen some in a nest on county rd. Z up in Henry County right on the maumee river right before Florida Ohio. Always cool to see them in the wild.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Seen one of the local eagles flying the river while in my tree stand this fall.

That pair nests right down the road from where we hunt, spotted one sitting on a limb over the creek just to the west of the trailer court.

My FIL and i were fishing from his pontoon at clearfork a couple years ago and watched one snatch a fish from the water and then fly up into a tree with it. That was cool.

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That pair nests right down the road from where we hunt, spotted one sitting on a limb over the creek just to the west of the trailer court.

My FIL and i were fishing from his pontoon at clearfork a couple years ago and watched one snatch a fish from the water and then fly up into a tree with it. That was cool.

I know right where it is. If I had a good pair of binocs I would go and park just off the road and watch them. There is another pair nesting over near Mt. Zion over by the covered bridge :)

Derek j

Knox Co.
We have two nesting pairs along the kokosing river where we duck hunt. they have gotten the birds moving for us on more than one occasion. One of them got paid for his duty a few years ago. I shot a mallard and it splashed hard upriver. As it was floating to us, the eagle swooped in and snatched it up. It wasn't 30 yds away from us when it happened. Cool as hell!!