Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Remington 770

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
With my gift cards and their sale, I could leave Dunhams today with a Remington 770 synthetic for $275. They have them in .243, .270, and .30-06. Opinions on this gun are welcome. I'm just after an affordable 100-200 yard rifle for yotes...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
.243 is plenty, but it you want a multipurpose gun to poach deer with, then I would suggest the .270:smiley_crocodile:

Huckleberry Finn

My buddy looked hard at bolt guns this summer and ended up with a 700 rather than the 770, got a .223 with heavy barrel and 4x12 out the door for $600. That's two different price 'ranges' of gun, I realize. I'm a big Remington fan and I don't think for $275 you could go wrong. The 770 is the bigger bored cousin to the 597.

Although, then again, you could get the Savage Axis/Edge and shoot 305 yards and hit a pop can.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My buddy looked hard at bolt guns this summer and ended up with a 700 rather than the 770, got a .223 with heavy barrel and 4x12 out the door for $600. That's two different price 'ranges' of gun, I realize. I'm a big Remington fan and I don't think for $275 you could go wrong. The 770 is the bigger bored cousin to the 597.

Although, then again, you could get the Savage Axis/Edge and shoot 305 yards and hit a pop can.

Bottom of a pop can!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Not a fan the 770. I would save and get something else. If the Savage or Marlin is an option I would go that route.

Jesse,
I have to second the vote for a Savage or Marlin. Even a Stevens 200 would be a good choice. The Stevens isn't anything more than a Pre-AccuTrigger Savage...very affordable, reliable and accurate. I own a Stevens 200 in .25-06 and have no regrets....it's my coyote rifle. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

Huckleberry Finn

Cabela's has the 700 ADL in .243 for $450.

Sportsman's Den has Savage Axis scoped for $299. Scoped Savage 11 for $440. Marlin L7 for $320.

...figured that'd give you ball parks.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Jesse, I have a 700 .30-06. You wouldn't be dissapointed opting for the 700.

To gerns point, a 270 is plenty for anything around here. My FIL went the .30-06 route with me for the versatility (caribou, etc)

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I know nothing of the 770 but I have had good luck with savage and marlin, those guns will shoot better than the shooter most days.

I will tell you this grasshopper.......you better start buying some guns before the kids come or your gonna be s.o.l. for quite some time. Hunter's gun collection is growing far faster than mine these days.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I know nothing of the 770 but I have had good luck with savage and marlin, those guns will shoot better than the shooter most days.

I will tell you this grasshopper.......you better start buying some guns before the kids come or your gonna be s.o.l. for quite some time. Hunter's gun collection is growing far faster than mine these days.

I hear ya there man! My uncle Jason would say the same thing!!!

I decided against the 770 and for getting an AR. Now to actually find one and pick it up!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I sold the wife on it last night, so it's go time! I need to peddle a few toys to make it happen, but it seemed like a better investment in the long run...

Milo

Tatonka guide.
you can buy a lower at a gun show pretty cheap and then buy whatever upper you want to put on it or buy multiple uppers with different calibers....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I sold the wife on it last night, so it's go time! I need to peddle a few toys to make it happen, but it seemed like a better investment in the long run...

Please enlighten us here... What's involved in selling the wife on a grand or more instead of $300??? I really want to learn this trick. lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Please enlighten us here... What's involved in selling the wife on a grand or more instead of $300??? I really want to learn this trick. lmao

Over dinner and drinks I say: "I'm gonna buy an AR..."

She says: "Really?"

I say: "Yup. I'll buy all the shit to do both remodel jobs and get them done by turkey season. I have a couple things I can sell and add to the $300 I have now to cover the difference. And, I won't buy a new bow. Any argument?

"Nope" she said.

Done deal! :smiley_clap:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Over dinner and drinks I say: "I'm gonna buy an AR..."

She says: "Really?"

I say: "Yup. I'll buy all the shit to do both remodel jobs and get them done by turkey season. I have a couple things I can sell and add to the $300 I have now to cover the difference. And, I won't buy a new bow. Any argument?

"Nope" she said.

Done deal! :smiley_clap:

See Jbrown all ya gotta do is Lie!!:smiley_clap::smiley_crocodile: