Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Season is over. Went down swinging!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I intended on hunting the entire weekend. Yesterday, I squeezed in a morning hunt but it started snowing and I had to go check our accounts. Besides this, it started as rain and I was soaked.

Got back out last night. I saw 4 does. Unfortunately, I did not get any shot opportunities.

Went out with the wife last night. Had the alarm set for 4am. Problem was, I didn't get to bed until nearly 230am. Umm. . .yeah, I slept in. Kinda mad at myself, but my wife deserved to have a DD so she could enjoy her co-workers in a non-work setting. Can't remember the last time my wife had anything other than a glass of wine. Just wish it hadn't cost me the morning hunt.

Made it out this evening. I had hung a set yesterday in an area we normally stay out of unless shed hunting, working on the property, or recovering a deer. I was settled in by 330. There was nearly no wind. What wind we had was NNE. You could hear everything and I had to be really quiet sliding into the set and while on stand.

At 530 I saw some movement finally. There was a big doe, 2 of this years fawns, and another deer that I never did get a good look at her head. Could have been a button, or last years yearling, or maybe just another doe. They came in from the SW and the doe grazed for what seemed an eternity at 85-100yds. The two youngins and other skinhead mingled through the woods to my west at anywhere from 45-65yds. They graved back and forth between the woods and field where momma stayed quite awhile. Eventually they began to move deeper into the woods and to my west. I thought for sure they were gone. I had my grunt call and made a few doe grunts. They were very soft, but the youngsters turned their heads and I got them curious. They mingled back to their mother one last time, and back towards me. This time, they decided to work my direction.

The momma doe and 4th deer finally started to move into the woods. The fawns came into 46yds and mingled around. Then they moved into 36yds. After a few minutes, the momma doe finally committed to my direction as well as the fourth deer. At this point, they had all come from downwind and moved upwind of me. As long as I didn't get skylighted or busted for moving, it was a matter of waiting for momma to get in range and offer a shot. This was no easy task with 4 deer watching, listening, and milling around.

Eventually, the momma followed the same path as the fawns. I had been standing up for roughly 45minutes, and holding the bow in my left hand for over half an hour. Bow in left hand, range finder in right hand, I continued to move slowly and watch for all their heads to be down or away from me as i ranged the distances. I really wanted them to cross a ditch that was holding them up as this would put me at 27yds. They just never crossed that ditch and when the momma was at 36yds I awaited my moment to draw. I finally got a chance to draw and settled the 35yd pin on her. I thought she was quartering away a bit more than she was and did not make the best shot. HAD she been quartering away more, it would have been perfect. As it was, she was a tad more broadside than I thought and I entered through the liver and exited on the offside lung.

After the shot, I got uneasy. I had put some Lumenoks on my arrows and watched the arrow hit her. Even so, they all skipped off about 30yds and stood there looking around very skiddish. I replayed the shot and arrow hitting her repeatedly. I was in disbelief. She stood there for several minutes while the youngsters ran around like they were on crack. They gathered back around her as she stood when I hear "flop" and see the other 3 deer get jumpy again. YES! I knew I had hit her. I waited as long as I could and then slid out. She was still moving a little and the young deer were still milling around. They wouldn't leave, but I had to get home to watch the kids as my wife has to work tonight.

I rounded up the neighbor to keep an eye on the kids. My foreman, Shawn, showed up to give me a hand. I am giving him the entire deer to feed his family. He struck out this season and it is the least I can do to help them out.

I just cannot believe I connected on the last day of the season within the last 1/2 hour of shooting light! What a way to end the season on a high note!

Attachments

• 2-5-12 doe posing.jpg
    2-5-12 doe posing.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 2-5-12 entry hole.jpg
    2-5-12 entry hole.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 2-5-12 exit hole.jpg
    2-5-12 exit hole.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 2-5-12 hanging.jpg
    2-5-12 hanging.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 2-5-12 doe posing II.jpg
    2-5-12 doe posing II.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Congrats too you Phil way to stick it out and connect on a nice size doe and then giving it too someone who is really in need of it....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks again guys!

Nice job Phil!

Did you look for or find a fetus?

As we were walking to the truck I thought about that. I believe my comment was "I forgot to look to see if there were any babies in that pile. Oh well. Not going back to dig through the gut pile now." lmao

Here is another picture for you. Maybe we can look for the fetus in this one. SLicktrick through the liver, and out the opposite lung. She was more broadsided than I thought when I loosed the arrow. Oops. Oh well. Dead deer either way. Would have liked to have seen the exit hole about 6" closer to the offside shoulder though. Not bad for a 36yd shot from a guy that has not had the best archery season when it comes to building confidence in yourself. I am riding high going into next year vs doubting myself for an entire off season. That is huge to me!

Attachments

• slicktrick_liver.jpg
    slicktrick_liver.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 113