Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Snaring Coyotes

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Got 3 snares out Saturday Evening..... Caught this 31# Female on the first night.

Coyote.jpg

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Just ordered 3 dozen custom coyote snares as I usually make my own........ Then It's on! Got about 6 or 8 running around here that needs a new neck-tie!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
PDK Snares... They are around the corner from my house. Ken is an excellent snare builder and carries all sorts of supplies for snaring. I ordered the Coyote I snares with camlocks and whammies for #9 Support wires. They are 6' long to give you that little extra to reach a small tree or whatever for tying down.

Soon as I get my supplies, I will take pics for everyone to see just how it goes. But also, Ken carries many books on snaring that are great books to learn by. Grawes, Krause and Pedersen all are great teachers for snaring.......

Their on the internet and their phone # is 740-323-4541 Ken Stewart.

Last edited:

rossbows

I have been looking into snares. Most of the coyote tracks I see are on deer trails. I guess my question is how would you go about setting up the snares to keep the deer from knocking them over.

Diablo54

Outside
I have been looking into snares. Most of the coyote tracks I see are on deer trails. I guess my question is how would you go about setting up the snares to keep the deer from knocking them over.

Find the openings that are to small for a a deer

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio

You will have deer "knock" a snare on occasion..... One trick I use often is a branch or log over a deer trail (I put one there most times) Keep it about 20-22" off the ground ~~ Deer will often jump over and a Yote will duck under. Look on your fence lines also...... Holes in the fence, under the fence and washouts are common crossing spots. They often leave a little fur on the fence also.

rossbows

Thanks for the input xbow im going to put some out this weekend. Buddy of mine is giving me two dozen snares to put out hoping for the best never done it before. What do you do if you get a fox in one now that the season is out?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Easier said than done, but I have a 4' broom handle (5' would be better) with a hook screwed into the end of it. If you can hook the snare near the washer or cam lock, pull the lock back up the snare, you can relax the snare and let it go. Legally, that is what is supposed to happen. Good Luck ~~ I hope you get one on the first night!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Did you get your snares out? I just got 5 doz more that I will need to get out this weekend. I found I could buy them cheaper than making them. Bought them from the Snare Shop in IA. With shipping, I have about 80 bucks in 60 of 'em.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Just got more tonight. Work is killing me right now. I have to work Saturday but will be slingin snares on Sunday. Did anyone tell you to boil the new ones in baking soda to dull the shine off them? I forgot about that until I got the new ones tonight. I used to deal with the snare shop a lot. I was always pleased with their quality and prices. It's great to see your havin a good time with this Brock........Warning! It can be addicting!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yeah, I got the low-down on boiling 'em. I've been checking out trapping forums to shorten the learning curve too. One guy has me almost convinced to paint them vs boiling. I painted some, will boil some. He claims the BS will cause internal corrosion on the snares and will weaken them...makes sense to me. Anyway, most folks do boil them and he seems to be the only one that points out the potential problem. He paints them to match the vegitation he is setting in. He's an Ohio guy too. You are right about it being addicting. A guy I used to work with got into it about ten years ago. It was all he wanted to do. He tried to get me involved, but I didn't see the point...untill I noticed how hard they are on deer! Now, I want to kill em!

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Let me know how the paint thing works........ I'd be afraid of the smell. But if it works, I'd do it. I boiled them in logwood crystals before and it darkened them a little. It is definately fun as hell! I hope you get a live one soon ~~ Very interesting!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We own a pizza shop and I will be here until around 11 tonight. Being all excited with the newness of this thing, I'll be boiling snares when I get home.:) I will be up at the farm tomorrow checking the snares I still have out, and setting a few more time permitting. Its fun to have something to look forward to for sure! I painted about ten snares before I left home today. The fella that suggests paint says three days is sufficient to disperse the smell....we will see.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
No Snares out today.... Diane found a crack in her wood stove and need to address this first.... Should have a day off this week since work is slow. Hopefully will get some out and take some pic's for everyone then.