Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Scope Suggestions

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
:smiley_confused_vra Looking for scope suggestions for a RRA.
I have never been much of a long range shooter so I am asking for help on an appropriate scope for my 5.56/223. I realize its not a "long range" gun as long range shooters go but it will reach out further than anything else I have. I'll probably just be reaching out to the popular 600 yard distance but will probably be just punching paper, then varmints. In all honesty, I'm not even sure I could identify a landmark at 5 or 6oo yards but I'm going to figure that out TOO.
In the end I will probably only be shooting 1-3 or 400 yards but ya never know...

I don't want to put some piece of crap on but also wont be spending what I paid for the gun either. I'm really looking for some ideas on appropriate scope "sizes" for that distance shooting. ( within the parameters of the calaber...)The brand names are secondary.

Also some idea on bases. Would you just go with the RRA High Rise scope mount or are there other high and lower bases?

Is there a reason to weigh out the difference of a 30mm or 1"?
I don't need entry/combat type. That for another upper and another day...

Thank You

Last edited:
Beener and I both have the vortex viper 4x16x50 pst http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-viper-pst-4-16x50-riflescopes.html . For the money its the best target/varmint 100-600yd range scope around. 4x16 is the perfect magnifiction for shots out to 600 yds and will be enough if you want to push to 700-800. The Viper PST is equel in quality to the Leupold mark 4 4.5x16x50 and is almost half the price. If a lighted retical isnt important vortex makes the same scope without a lighted retical and with a caped windage nob http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-...long-range-scope-w-dead-hold-bdc-reticle.html. If you are going to be changing ranges 200-300 then 400-600 restable target turrets are a good investment. The Leupold Vr-x 4x12x50 with the target elevation nob would be a good choice as well. I have a 5.56x45 Remington 700 so I wont be a whole lot of help on mounts for an AR.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Difference between 1" and 30mm is the 30mm will allow more light to enter. This is what I have on mine and it is a huge advantage when hunting at night. I have a Weaver on mine but only because Nachez was closing them out when Weaver was bought out. $900 scope for $300. I am glad I spent the money. Can't always say that.

I think I asked this before, but I forget. Does this have the fixed carry handle? If not, then get whatever you can to keep it close to the barrel. If it has a fixed handle, you will have limited options.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Yep and yep. I would not discount Vortexs less costly offerings either.

On the topic of 30mm vs 1"....I think it is a bit overblown unless you are wanting that very last minute of shooting. A 30mm is something like 10% more effecient with all other things being equal. If you want top dog go 30mm but I wouldn't discount a good deal on a one inch.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
30mm can give more room for windage and elevation adjustment.

Look at some of the scopes that give more then 3X the magnification change like the Bushnell Elite 6500(2.5-16) Minox ZA (4-20) Votex Viper (4-16)

CJD3,
I have to agree with the 4x16 power. Reason being: 4x is low enough for close shots without too much magnification. 16x is high enough for the distances you mentioned and anything 18x or higher can require a shooting vest to avoid seeing your heart beat in the crosshairs.

Take a look a Mueller scopes...clear glass and affordable prices. :smiley_bril:

Bowhunter57

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
This is all very helpful to an ol iron sights guy.
I appreciate the input.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I have the XLT 4-12x40 and it is good enough for what I do with it but I wish I would have went with a 4-16x50 with the DOA reticle instead just so I could have a little more distance capability if I wanted. Mine is good out to 400 but I will most likely never go out past the 200-300 yard mark anyway.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep and yep. I would not discount Vortexs less costly offerings either.

On the topic of 30mm vs 1"....I think it is a bit overblown unless you are wanting that very last minute of shooting. A 30mm is something like 10% more effecient with all other things being equal. If you want top dog go 30mm but I wouldn't discount a good deal on a one inch.[/

I guess I recommend the 30mm for night hunting because that is what I have. However, the way I was told was more to do with the amount of light you can get through. For example, on a 1" tube, you will not get any more light through it with 40mm 50mm or 60mm. Maximum end will be 40mm. Sure you can put a bigger opening on the end, but you can only fit so much light through 1". With the 30mm you will be able to get more light from say 50mm to your eye. This was the reason the guy at Nachez suggested the larger scope. This reason, and the fact I told him we would be night hunting and did not have night vision scope budgets to work with. lol

Lundy

I guess I recommend the 30mm for night hunting because that is what I have. However, the way I was told was more to do with the amount of light you can get through. For example, on a 1" tube, you will not get any more light through it with 40mm 50mm or 60mm. Maximum end will be 40mm. Sure you can put a bigger opening on the end, but you can only fit so much light through 1". With the 30mm you will be able to get more light from say 50mm to your eye. This was the reason the guy at Nachez suggested the larger scope. This reason, and the fact I told him we would be night hunting and did not have night vision scope budgets to work with. lol

I am sure that the guy at Natchez is very knowledgeable but what it told you does not square completely with the manufacturers exit pupil ratings for scopes with various MM objective lenses.

The Weaver Super Slam pricing at Natchez is really good right now. I just purchased a 3x15x50 last week. Very nice scope and for the price I couldn't turn it down. Now I have to build a new gun for it to go on. LOL

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Thank You for the input guys. It has been a big help to be pointed in the right direction.
You gave me things to think about.

I found a good "basics on how to choose a scope" type page that may be of help for anyone else trying to enter into the scoping of a gun for the first time. I found it helpful TOO.:smiley_baby:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/how-to-choose-riflescope.html#top

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Have you guys looked at Overstock.com. They have a ton of Leopold scopes on there for sale. And we get a 7% discount.