Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Details, details, details...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not that long ago, someone posted a thread in the general deer hunting section that asked for everyone's top five deer hunting tips. In that thread, my response was this:

My #1 tip ties in with attention to detail. We can come up with all sorts of tips regarding wind, scent-control, scouting, practice... etc... But there's nothing more important IMO than being accutely attentive at the moment of truth. All too often I hear of hunters that get so amped up and excited (rightfully-so) when they make a shot at a deer, that they lose focus and can't remember which way the deer ran, how the deer reacted, or where the arrow hit. You can prepare all you want, scout the best spots, do basically everything leading up to the shot right... But if you lose focus at that most critical point, it's going to (eventually) cost you a deer. IMO, it's the hardest thing to do because deer hunting is such a rush... But it's absolutely imperative. When you shoot at a deer, be completely tuned-in to what's going on. Replay every little detail in your mind countless times before you even THINK about climbing down from the tree or out of a ground blind. Don't leave your perch until you're 100% sure what just happened. Do this, and your odds of recovery will go up exponentially.

Earlier this evening, I really should have taken my own advice. I was posted up in a new set that I had just hung this afternoon... overlooking a couple trails that neck down into a cattail swamp. I had a good feeling about this spot but I really didn't think I'd see anything, since I made a ruckus hanging the stand. Much to my surprise, at about 6 o'clock, three does came out of the cattail swamp and into the woods, making their way right to me. They were closing ground fast and so I reached for my bow quickly... In my hurry, I completely forgot about the 3" limb that was sticking up right along my stand... As I pulled the bow around, my resting arrow hit the limb thus causing it to rattle on the shelf of my bow. Not 35 yds away, the lead doe looked up immediately and stared right at me. After staring for a minute or so, they never flagged tails or anything but they just spun around and skirted my set by about 60 yds. Effffff.... A golden opportunity right down the drain.

Instead of sitting there day-dreaming for the last hour or so, I should have been taking an inventory of my surroundings, both on the ground and up in the air. Had I paid attention to the details tonight, I would be posting pictures of a bloody arrow and a dead doe instead of this sad little piece. Oh well, that's bowhunting fellas.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
On a positive note. You had action on your first sit on a new property. Encouraging for next year...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
On a positive note. You had action on your first sit on a new property. Encouraging for next year...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Great point. Thanks for the reminder Jim. I will probably be using the climber tomorrow. Might just make me double and triple check my surroundings because of your story. Thanks and good luck the rest of the weekend!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I know it's not the end of the world, obviously... It just irritates me because I always pride myself in being able to close the deal when the moment of truth arrives. To do everything right EXCEPT for the execution is frustrating. But hey, that's why they call it hunting right. I am however really excited that I had action during my first sit. I really think that next year I will have a lot of fun hunting this new property.

I was planning on going back to that spot in the morning, but my buddy called and said he wanted to try to double team a couple does at one of his properties in the morning. He's been baiting it all week and wants to run a camera, so I think that's where I'll be going. lol

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Sorry that happened Jim. It's funny you mentioned studying the details around you right after you get settled in. I do this instinctively everytime I get out. I guess in my early years of hunting back in the late 70's and early 80's had taught me to always be prepared. Very good advise Jim. Thanks for sharing your hunt.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Jim you didn't make a mistake. You had what we call a learning experience. :smiley_crocodile: Sometimes we forget things and must relearn them unfortunately. Done it myself several times.

Good things from a first though. Good luck in the morning.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jim you didn't make a mistake. You had what we call a learning experience. :smiley_crocodile: Sometimes we forget things and must relearn them unfortunately. Done it myself several times.

Good things from a first though. Good luck in the morning.

:smiley_clap:

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
I've messed up over the years on some nice by bucks by not paying attention to the small details. Particularly things hitting my treestand. For example, my wedding ring tapping my treestand while a big buck was approaching and also my release hitting my treestand. Both have cost me chances at some nice deer over the years.

I wouldn't worry about it. All these little mistakes just make us better hunters.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Let's all be thankful it wasn't a shooter buck! I know I've blown opportunities over the years because of lack of details at times and several were at dandy bucks. Things like a creaking stand on an extremely cold day or hanging a stand on the wrong side of a tree are among them. Just saying that Jims mishap could have been much worse! Thankfully it wasn't a booner or some shooter he was after for the past 3 months. Just saying'!