Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Goin snaring

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have quite a few snare setups a trapper buddy gave me, and I just bought enough material to make another 20 or so. Just spoke to one of the landowners in Fayette Co to make sure it was ok with him...He said "Fug yeah, just saw four of the bastards by the barn"...Hehe. I'm looking forward to learning how to do this...or learning how bad at it I am.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good luck Brock hoping it works out in your favor.... post pictures of your setups so we can learn some things....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Heck, I dont know what I'm doing yet! :) Should be fun learning, hope I don't kill anyone's pets.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Brock, you may have read this already: Clean is king for canines ~ Rubber Boots and Gloves are a plus. Boiled my snares in baking soda. One of the easiest snare sets is in the deer trails. 10" loop 10-12" off the ground.....Place a branch just over the snare and the deer will jump over and the yotes will duck under. Stake or wire them good ~~ You're fixin to have a small bulldozer tied to a leash! I liked sets where there was grass and berry vines to help hide the snares. Ya'll done woke the bug up in me....Gonna get busy on making snares this weekend.....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Snow would be good. Gonna head out in a bit. I've only got ten or twelve to set out right now, so I'm gonna cross my fingers that I get the right trails.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm hoping to avoid that. I guess that is the advantage to not having many around. :)
I ran out of time today and didn't get any out. I'm all loaded up and will be going out first thing tomorrow.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Got 11 snares put out this afternoon. Funny thing though, once again this year, there are more signs of the rut now than there were in November on the property. Hung a cam over a brand new scrape, complete with rubs. This late season rutting activity is usually only a few days long, hope I didn't already miss it....huge tracks in the scrape and I hope I get a pic of whomever put them there!

Diablo54

Outside
Got 11 snares put out this afternoon. Funny thing though, once again this year, there are more signs of the rut now than there were in November on the property. Hung a cam over a brand new scrape, complete with rubs. This late season rutting activity is usually only a few days long, hope I didn't already miss it....huge tracks in the scrape and I hope I get a pic of whomever put them there!

I hope your ready to be resetting alot of them every day!! thats the worst part about them

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I figured as much. I don't have anything better to do for a while. :) I need to get a lot more made up...lots of ground up there.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
WTF... I can't get my files uploaded for some reason. Beats me. Send me your email Jesse and I'll get 'em to ya.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The best kind of coyotes is a stone cold dead one!!! Great work Brock!!!

Attachments

• IMG00269-20120208-1125.jpg
    IMG00269-20120208-1125.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG00271-20120208-1125.jpg
    IMG00271-20120208-1125.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG00270-20120208-1125.jpg
    IMG00270-20120208-1125.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 195

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for putting up the pics Jesse. This snaring thing is fun. Can't wait, in a week or so I should have around 65-70 out. I would think I should do well with that many set ups.