Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Absolutely FREAKIN done with climbers!!!!!

I am absolutely Fucking done with climbers!:smiley_depressive:No I didn't fall or anything like that...Im just sick of being limited on trees I can climb..The areas I hunt in it just isn't working..I thought a climber would be perfect for me.So I picked up a New Aluminum Viper(not 2011 SD),Footrest,hazmore seat,Molle II backpack an kidney belt,and Third hand archery stabilizer straps:smiley_clap:.. Great combo,and I thought it was as a few of you fellas say the cats pajamas's,and it would be perfect..So almost 350$ later total,for every 30 trees I see I find one I can get up an be 15ft or more in:smiley_cry:...I should have listened to folks who said to get a light hang on an light packable climbing sticks...Looks like I am selling this damn climber an going to have to fork out another 400$,:smiley_badmood:an hope I like the new setup better..To the guys that warned YOUR RIGHT..An we both know who your are..

Thanks for listening to my rant

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I wouldn't sell the climber just yet. There are situations that will arise where you will wish you had it. Sometimes, they are great. But like all things, they are not perfect for everything...this is why I have a barn full of stands and other hunting crap...you just never know when you will need it.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Might just want to hang on to it though & have both. I have some spots that I still use my climber in because I know the ground from past experience. Plenty of straight trees to climb. Then there are other spots that I take my sticks & hang on into either if it's my first hunt in the area, or again from past experience. Never hurts to be versatile. I think both have their place, plus I'm still getting to know the Fluteman's climbing system and somewhat slow with the sticks / hang on approach. Having years developed in my climber system I'm still a bit faster going up a tree with it.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I'll be honest OMO, there are times when I do wish I had a climber. It wouldn't hurt you one bit to hold onto it for certain situations.

Kaiser878

ohio
I wouldnt give up my climber for nothing. I have killed the vast majority of my bucks from one. I love my hang ons also because of their readiness. But nothing beats a good climbing stand for making low impact tweaks to your set up

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
OMO, I guarantee if you sell your climber setup there will come a day when you wish you hadn't. The hang-on/sticks combo is a great one... one that is very versatile... But if you already have a climber there's no sense in getting rid of it. Keep it in the collection and you'll be even more versatile for it. If for no other reason, at least keep it as a spare.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
you guys make great points. If you can afford to hang onto it, do so. Prime example... I set up two ladder stands and a hang on this year. All of a sudden, I'm seeing scrapes along a trail I never noticed before. It was then time for the climber. I laughed about it because I spent all that time hanging the other stands only to abandon them for the climber, but sometimes that's the way it works.
Plus, the comfort of one is so nice.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Pirates and climbers dont mix.....:smiley_clap: I kid....dont be a sally and get yourself some sticks and a stand.

loose_is_fast

McClure
you can also get your sticks and a hang on and you now have two hang on sets you can put a climber in a tree that you need sticks to get to i have done it lots of times. leave the climber up in the tree and take your sticks with you

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Why not just buy some climbing sticks and use your climber as a loc on instead of buying another stand. Then you could hunt any tree you wanted and have the comfort of the climber style stand. You need 2 ropes. 1 to haul of the seat and another to haul up the stand. You wont ever catch me hunting a stand without a sling seat.

Thats what i do when i hunt trees with lots of limbs.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Loose and Eer, those are good ideas, but I'd worry about the stand shifting as you stepped over from the ladder to the climber. Do you think it's latched on good enough? With a hang on you have it strapped to the tree, but a climber depends on your weight to keep it safely dug in. I'm just asking because I've never tried that, but seems like it may be an ok idea if safe.

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
you could always use ratchet strap to secure the stand to the tree so its locked on. I then get on the stand and pull my seat and rail up.

Loose is right tho..get those teeth into that tree for a secure bite.

Last edited:
Pirates and climbers dont mix.....:smiley_clap: I kid....dont be a sally and get yourself some sticks and a stand.
Is that a joke about my eye dominance muscle control issue?Or a homo joke??Funny either way...
Im going to have to work with the sticks an stand all off season so I can shake the sally out of me though

Why not just buy some climbing sticks and use your climber as a loc on instead of buying another stand. Then you could hunt any tree you wanted and have the comfort of the climber style stand. You need 2 ropes. 1 to haul of the seat and another to haul up the stand. You wont ever catch me hunting a stand without a sling seat.

Thats what i do when i hunt trees with lots of limbs.

Neat idea but weight is why I wouldnt do that..A 22lb climber an 10lb of sticks isnt something I want to pack in...In addition to my backpack etc..

Last edited: