Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Anybody ever heard of "Cut Shells"?!?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Came across this video on Youtube...check it out.
Anybody ever heard of this before?
Fred, ya think this is safe?

[video=youtube;k3M46XVfVOU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU&feature=context&context=G2978fa1RVAAAAAAAAAQ[/video]

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I was shown cut-shells about 35 years ago. Only we cut it without the overlap. The cut was in the middle of the center wad to still hold it together. I will say it did shoot as the video appears ~~ But cannot say I'd do it again.....Watching the video is much safer in my book.

I'd say that any tighter choke restriction than modified might cause excessive barrel pressures. IF I were going to try it, I'd have to use an Improved Cyl. choke or a barrel with the same demensions.

Interesting video, just the same.

Bowhunter57

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I can't believe you folks hadn't heard of this before...

When I was in High School, my redneck brethren from just south of Laurelville used them to poach deer while squirrel hunting. I never participated of course, but they told me how the shells would blow a hole through the unfortunate deer as big as a softball. They killed deer by the truck load, so I have no idea of their effectiveness. Of course they would shoot them with whatever was handy, but they typically squirrel hunted with shotguns, thus the need for a cut shell or two.

FredT

SE Ohio
Anybody ever heard of this before?
Fred, ya think this is safe?

[video=youtube;k3M46XVfVOU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU&feature=context&context=G2978fa1RVAAAAAAAAAQ[/video]

It is all soft lead and plastic. Not real hard on a gun barrel. The video speaks for itself. It helps to live south of 70 and have lots of time on your hands.