Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

White Coon?? Say What??

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Switched out memory cards today on the SpyPoint and had over 700 pictures in the past two weeks!! Too bad most were of a branch that must have blown down in the high winds a few weeks back that happened to get hung up on a vine off to the side of the camera. The others were mainly off coonapalooza with only a few nocturnal deer sprinkled in for good measure.

As I was going through the pictures I did see something that caught my eye though. It looks like it's a white coon? It's hard to tell the true color since all the pictures are at night, but you can see for yourself. One thing I noticed was that this coon is always by itself. I had tons of pictures with 4 - 5 coons in each frame, but anytime Ole Whitey is around, he's alone.

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• PICT0026.jpg
    PICT0026.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 250
  • PICT0027.jpg
    PICT0027.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 238
  • PICT0028.jpg
    PICT0028.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 175
  • PICT0515.jpg
    PICT0515.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 188
  • PICT0555.jpg
    PICT0555.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 204
  • PICT0556.jpg
    PICT0556.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 180
  • PICT0585.jpg
    PICT0585.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 178

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I'll be darned, sure looks light colored if not white. Need to get with Diablo and snag that sucker!!

That's what I was thinking when I was looking at these things this morning. Or Redcloud, he's a bit closer to this spot. I'll have to give him a call and set some traps after bow is out.

Stonegod

That's what I was thinking when I was looking at these things this morning. Or Redcloud, he's a bit closer to this spot. I'll have to give him a call and set some traps after bow is out.

Coon reason ends at the end of this month, if you wait til the end of bow season to trap him you'll be illegally taking a fur bearing animal.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Coon reason ends at the end of this month, if you wait til the end of bow season to trap him you'll be illegally taking a fur bearing animal.

Good point, thanks for the heads up!! I just checked and Jan 31st closes the season.

Well RedCloud... you wanna try and trap this guy? We've got a few days to do it. I'd be glad to show you where. I would make a sweet stuffed animal. :smiley_crocodile:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Way to be so PC Curran. I believe they used to be called wiggers. Oops, wait a minute, maybe you weren't being PC? We are both gonna burn I guess. lmao

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Good point, thanks for the heads up!! I just checked and Jan 31st closes the season.

Well RedCloud... you wanna try and trap this guy? We've got a few days to do it. I'd be glad to show you where. I would make a sweet stuffed animal. :smiley_crocodile:

I'm not sure what bait to use to catch a white one. I guess we could try some saltines ?

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Color phase looks to be what we call a "Red Coon"..... Pink eyes are the albino trait. You will still see the rings on his tail and his mask are a reddish color. They are still fairly rare and make a great mount or tanned skin. I would get him no matter what it took.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

unless he's a nuisance. Looks like a corn thieving nuisance to me. :smiley_coolpeace:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I know a guy back home in the 80's that killed one that made the Marietta Times and the write up said the "red coon" which I believe this one is as well, are like 1 in 25,000 or something like that. He got it tanned and it made a beautiful piece for his family room. Thanks for sharing.