Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Whats your call?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Favorite mouth call, box call, and slate?

I am going to turkey hunt again this year. I am tired of protesting the ODNR's tag policy and miss calling in animals. I just picked up one of the dome Primos mouth calls and was suprised how good it sounds. Makes me sound better than I really am!

Huckleberry Finn

I use all of them. For the first couple seasons I relied heavily upon a slate call, since it's the easiest to master. Last year I ended up foraying into mouth calling and had decent results with it. On a windy day and most days last season I used a traditional Lynch No. 102 box call.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I prefer to mouth call unless it is windy or locating. The only thing I used to use a box call for was locating. I never owned a "good" box call though.

I am self taught and would probably learn a lot from someone experienced.

Huckleberry Finn

I prefer to mouth call unless it is windy or locating. The only thing I used to use a box call for was locating. I never owned a "good" box call though.

I am self taught and would probably learn a lot from someone experienced.

I was lucky enough to have a good mentor that helped me learn to call, but it's all about just doing it. It's a confidence thing too, I swear. I called the same hen in 6/6 mornings the first week of the season. Pissed me off, but at least I knew that I sounded like a turkey. Remember that the cadence and tone is just as important as it being perfect sounding. And I'm a less is more kinda guy...until it's 1130 and some dumbass bird is gobbling when I give them everything in the book.

Quaker boy sidewinder GPS slate,acrylic striker,hardwood striker..Lynch world champion(well used missing rubber bands),crow,an owl locators...First year trying them myself or anything turk for that matter.Xbow guy and I plan to team up and hopefully have some fun ..Are the dome diaphragm calls the beginner ones?I been looking for something easier to learn...Other then choking on the couple I have now:smiley_depressive:

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I only use 2 calls, a Primos "box cutter" mahogany box call and a push button type call. Those 2 calls have brought over 40 tail fans to the gun. I have no reason to try anything else, other than decoys.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Last year at the deer and turkey expo I kept hearing this really good sounding call. I followed the sound until I found this little old guy and his wife at a booth consisting of a plain old folding table and a generic sign "mountain side calls". There he was at this plain jane booth in the middle of all the big name fancy vendors and from what I saw he was outselling all of them. I bought a glass pot call with a slate on the reverse side and a hickory striker. sounds great.

The other call I like a friend of mine gave me for my birthday last year. We were out on opening weekend and in conversation it came up that my birthday was a couple weeks ago. He reached into a pocket in his vest and pulled out a knight and hale modle 154 box call and handed it to me and said "happy birthday, I dont use this anymore and I see you dont have one". The following weekend I was out hunting in the rain having no luck. I remembered that call and was concerned that the rain might have ruined it. I took it out and hit it a couple times to make sure it was OK and got an Immediate response from 100 yards away. After he gobbled again I started clucking and cutting on the pot call I got from the old guy at the expo and that 21 pound gobbler came in on a rope. My first ever.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I only use 2 calls, a Primos "box cutter" mahogany box call and a push button type call. Those 2 calls have brought over 40 tail fans to the gun. I have no reason to try anything else, other than decoys.

My moms favorite call. Its so simple to use that people don't even use it, but ask my mom if it works LOL.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I use a Primos diaphram and a Lynch box call. They have been working well for me over the last few years.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Not a big fan of the Primos dome-style diaphrams, or the quaker boys or the HS's. My favorite diaphrams are the Zink shane hendershot sig series (which is my go-to) and the Woodhaven Copperhead. For friction calls I really like the Zink Power Hen crystal... that thing sounds awesome. I might buy one of Zink's thunder ridge slates this year, too.

Last edited:
A diaphram is my favorite. I like the hands-free notion and I've always enjoyed calling animals and/or birds, all of my life.

I use a box call for locating and the slate call is good, but I don't like taking my eyes off of the game to see/feel what I'm doing with the call.

I suppose it's good to have all of them to see which one you like and which one you're good with using.

Bowhunter57

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I called my turkey in last spring using a Primos Sonic Dome Double with Bat Cut and the Primos Jack-Pot w/ glass friction call. I also carry the Primos Double Box Cutter along with a Primos Diamond Cutter and Primos Piggyback Double mouth calls. But the Sonic Dome is my call of choice...

I have a Lohman model 870 box call that I have been using with success since I was in middle school. I have a few slate calls that are ok and a Im a good natural mouth caller. I never have liked diaphram calls because I learned how to call with my with my naturally as a kid.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I have a old aluminum slate call I like. As far as mouth calls I have a assortment that I have accumulated I usually by a variety pack and pick thru to find the ones I like. I generally like multiple reed cutter style or notched reed calls. They break over crisply for me with a good amount of raspy in em. Luckily ya don't hafta be a great caller to kill turkeys tho.