Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

And that's just the way it goes some seasons...

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Sunday closed out the season for me in the newly revised North Zone. I really wish they would've left the boundaries alone, as we've been seeing good amounts of ducks in the past few weeks, but you have to play with the hand you're dealt.

Although it was a tough season, it was still another fun one for sure. I got to spend quality time in the field and on the water with great friends, plus got to get out with a few new people along the way.

We scouted hard, and found the birds, but it just seemed that no matter what the season was working against us. Here's a quick clip that doesn't do justice to the amount of ducks we had in the field that morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjpN92d7l2U&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

The problem we battled that day was the abundance of field for the birds to land in, plus the pockets of sheet water that filled every low spot for as far as you could see. We threw everything we had at the birds that day but only came away with asingle drake mallard. The birds just mocked us...

Then to close things out on Saturday, Longdraw and Beentown joined me for what we hoped would be a good afternoon hunt. We certainly saw plenty of geese, but as this season has shown time and time again, our timing was off. The only things that wanted to play with us were of course ducks...

We had a pair of black ducks work perfectly into the hole, that we would've been able to take had it been legal to do so. Instead they too mocked us by gliding off 100 yards to the side to settle down in another pocket of open water... Timber made sure we were aware of his feeling on the matter.

Divers were plentiful that afternoon as well. Wew spotted Goldeneyes, Buffleheads, and Blue Bills that again we could've hunted for had we still been in the old South Zone...

Throughout the afternoon ducks just mocked us, coming in to some light flagging and decoying to the spread & light calls that we threw out at them...

But... that's just the way it goes some seasons. That's hunting I guess. Did I get frustrated? Sure, when you put in the work, and don't get the results it's bound to happen. Throw in a couple stuck vehicles, a dead truck battery, frozen locks on gates, weather that just doesn't cooperate, birds that don't know where they want to go, and so on, and so on. You're gonna get frustrated. But, that's hunting. And I love to hunt. So with that said I'm thankful for another season, and already looking forward to the next.

Last edited by a moderator:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for sharing the pics and video, Sean. Even though I had a pretty decent waterfowl season this year, I still feel your pain. Compared to some other states, duck hunting in Ohio is anything but stellar. You'll have days when all the stars miraculously line up just right... but for the most part the amount of success never adds up to the amount of effort put in. Ohio waterfowlers are definitely a different breed, IMO.

Derek j

Knox Co.
Great pics Sean. I feel your pain buddy on this season. We had to go all the way to Arkansas to finally kill a mallard! We went out one last time on Saturday, and could have killed a good share of ducks. I thought this date change would actually be good for us in a way. I did get the boat out to the lakes more than previous seasons, but the lack of cold weather did us no favors at all for the #'s. Hopefully next season will be much better than this year. I know it couldnt get any worse for me!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
My only thing I accomplished this year was my 1st banded goose

Hey now... don't forget about the guide putting you on your first lesser too!! That's a trophy bird round here. And we did have a stellar coot shoot!! rotflmao Banner year for those buggers.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I think I've come to the realization that I just need to plan trips as I can afford them (both money wise & family wise), and Ohio will be what ever the duck Gods hand us that year. If I can get a trip in every few years to someplace different then I'll have some more satisfaction. The past few seasons we've done fairly well around here, so I certainly can't complain. And this past season we had fun no matter what. Some seasons you just have things go right & you can pile 'em up. Other seasons throw challenges at you every single time the alarm clock goes off. I took the kids along a bit more and have enjoyed getting them involved. Next year will be better. We're in the planning stages of a return trip to NoDak which is something I've been longing to do since my last trip. After that, it's time to start putting together my trip wish list I think. There's so much to do in the sport of waterfowling that it's time to start thinking long term and soaking up some of those hunts around the country... spring snow goose, Arkansas flooded timber, east coast sea ducks & brant,

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think you're on the right track, Sean.

I actually think the season date change this year was still a good thing. You just have to remember that the weather we had in 2011 was anything but typical. With the amount of precipitation we received, there were areas flooded that have never been flooded before... And the brutally-cold temps still haven't arrived, which we're used to seeing by now... IMO, this season gets an "asterisk" next to it in my book.

I have always wanted the duck season to run later into January for the north zone. It seems like every year I'm laying in a field to kill geese, and I'm absolutely covered up in ducks that are out-of-season. Unfortunately, with the power of interest in the Sandusky Bay marshes that exists, I highly doubt we'll ever see a late duck season in northern Ohio.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
I think I've come to the realization that I just need to plan trips as I can afford them (both money wise & family wise), and Ohio will be what ever the duck Gods hand us that year. If I can get a trip in every few years to someplace different then I'll have some more satisfaction. The past few seasons we've done fairly well around here, so I certainly can't complain. And this past season we had fun no matter what. Some seasons you just have things go right & you can pile 'em up. Other seasons throw challenges at you every single time the alarm clock goes off. I took the kids along a bit more and have enjoyed getting them involved. Next year will be better. We're in the planning stages of a return trip to NoDak which is something I've been longing to do since my last trip. After that, it's time to start putting together my trip wish list I think. There's so much to do in the sport of waterfowling that it's time to start thinking long term and soaking up some of those hunts around the country... spring snow goose, Arkansas flooded timber, east coast sea ducks & brant,

I LIKE YOUR THINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smiley_crocodile::smiley_crocodile::smiley_clap:

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
My yr was definitely far from normal, New stomping grounds, New zone, and screwed up weather pattern made for a challenging yr. I know the last several weeks there has been a huge number of ducks around . Sure frustrating to bird watch...lol.