Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

swap meat

ok guys im being serious , so i dont want to hear any off topic comments

i was asked by guy that runs fishing and hunting swap meets to help him set one up in my area. i have never ran one or even been to one so im turning to you guys for a little insight on what you would like to see at one , like demonstrations , giveaways that type of stuff

so what would grab sportmans attention to come to a swap meet

Last edited by a moderator:

Huckleberry Finn

i was asked by guy that runs fishing and hunting swap meets to help him set one up in my area. i have never ran one or even been to one so im turning to you guys for a little insight on what you would like to see at one , like demonstrations , giveaways that type of stuff

Well, if he runs them now, and you're just setting one up in your area, I'd imagine that you'd do them just like the other ones he does...just in your area. Is that simple enough?

I imagine this would do the trick:

SW-6110.jpg

Also, boiled peanuts. You know, like in the South.

he runs them in his area but i will be running this one in my area , he has 7 different shows so he really doesnt have much time to explain how one is ran , im doing everything except promoting it , he is doing all the advertising, this will put my foot in the door for advertising connections for the paylake and my bait bussiness , he just gave me the basics on finding a place , how much to charge for tables , but he didnt tell me anything he does to have people interested in coming to a swap meet , he is putting the money up for building rental and advertising and im taking care of table reservations , im just looking for a little insight on what other people have seen at swap meets to draw people in , and i take back what i said about being to one , i remember going to johnstown as a kid but dont really remember on what kind of stuff that had there to draw peoples interest

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
ok guys im being serious , so i dont want to hear any off topic comments

Free fishing to your pay lake might draw some people in. Maybe give away $5000 of your own money in a drawing. Just some thoughts going through my head...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
If he is doing the ads and putting it out there then all you need is a place to put all your venders. The promo's should be bringing the people in. Keeping them and having them spend their money is on you buddy. As long as you can find people that have quality gear to setup and not just stuff you could find at a yard sale then you should be fine.

the free passes to the pay lake i have already put up for drawings , the trout pond idea is a idea i can use , not titties and beer , i wouldnt even know how to go about getting a beer tent set up i dont think hopedale would allow that

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If he doesn't have an hour to give you the run down and get you started, then he doesn't need to add another show IMO...

Agreed.

Uk, If the dude doesn't have an hour to give you the rundown on how to do this successfully do you think he's going to invest his own money in the game. That would be like me giving you a grand to start a website and not telling you how. Why would i set my own money up for failure.

point taken maybe i should put my efforts into my bait bussiness instead the swap meet , atleast with the bait bussiness its already off the ground im just waiting on one last permit , ive already got suppliers and buyers lined up for it

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Wild animals are always good.....I like buffalo, I don't get to see many of them these days.

Yeah, that. I'd be willing to trade some deer sticks for some Elk meat and Buffalo burger. I also wouldn't mind trying Caribou meat or even Elk.

Do you have to bring meat to swap, or will a person be able to just buy portions of whatever? I'm definitely interested UK, get this thing up and going!