Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

.410 Side by Side

Huckleberry Finn

Does anyone have one of these? J - I know you're a .410 guy and I know that there are some pretty big collections out there between our gun crowd!

I was talking to my friend this morning as we watched the beagles run and he was talking about wanting to get a side by side .410 and wasn't sure who made them other than a Stoeger which he has shouldered but doesn't like. Light weight is crucial and perhaps an option that's nicer and something that you could beat the rabbit brush with...

The conversation sparked by interest and I just wanted to see what makes and models there are out there, it seems like a pretty fun gun!

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Huck I don't know where you live or how far you would travel to buy a side by side .410. I deal with Barnes Guns in Lancaster all the time. Just the other day Charlie pointed out two side by side .410 as he knows I like a .410. Told him I had just bought an 1100 .410 so I don't even know the manufacture of them. He still had them yesterday.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Stylish like a 2x4.:smiley_arrogant: Few O/Us feel as lively in the hands as a well balanced SxS. Yes they rule the clays games but most of those start with a mounted gun in wide open spaces and are barrel heavy to maintain the swing. Much different games then hunting.

Steve, if you want to see a shop with some decent SxS not too far from Grove City try Shooting Stars Firearms 6793 Columbiana New Castle rd. New Middletown, OH 44442. Phone: (330) 542-9435.

Last edited:
Huckleberry Finn,
Are you particular to a brand?
Would you consider a Russian Baikal O/U or SxS? There's a local gun dealer, just down the road from Hicklawns that sells them. I haven't priced them in a while (6ish years), but I used to own a O/U in 12 gauge that I purchased from him for $385.
Russian Baikals are from EAA European American Armory.

Bowhunter57

Huckleberry Finn

I'm getting suggestions for a friend, I'm not in the market. There are too many guns on my list before another dedicated bunny gun. Heck, I couldn't decide between my single 20 that I bought specifically for rabbit hunting and my trusty 870...took the later and pounded too much lead into the one I shot :(

I like the CZ, Sam - that looks like a good price range. I've never been to the one in New Middletown. There is what I would call a decent gun shop in Harrisville that I've been to (Gun World) and then I just heard of this place in Franklin - Maurer's Trading Post? Suppose to have 1200 guns in stock? I'm planning to visit there soon...

Ben - I like O/U's and if I was going to buy one for myself, that's what I'd get. This buddy just wants a SxS

Huckleberry Finn

Huckleberry Finn,
Are you particular to a brand?
Would you consider a Russian Baikal O/U or SxS? There's a local gun dealer, just down the road from Hicklawns that sells them. I haven't priced them in a while (6ish years), but I used to own a O/U in 12 gauge that I purchased from him for $385.
Russian Baikals are from EAA European American Armory.

Bowhunter57

If I recall correctly, the Baikals were branded and sold by Remington for awhile, correct?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Huck no side by side yet but have an o/u and if the side by side is as nice to hunt with as the o/u then it'll be in the arsenal as well.... lol.....

Huckleberry Finn said:
If I recall correctly, the Baikals were branded and sold by Remington for awhile, correct?
Huckleberry Finn,
No, no, no! You're not the only one to think that, but Remington had distribution rights ONLY. I have a MP-153 (semi-auto model) and it's the same shotgun that Remington called the Spartan 453...and charged another $100 for it....$450. I purchased mine from the dealer in the Shawnee area of Lima (Floyd Snider) for $350. These shotguns don't have the best wood to metal fit, but they're built like tanks and always go "bang". The amount of features that are standard on the Baikals and their selling prices, are the reasons that Remington tried to get a piece of that market.

I sold my O/U (IZH-27), just because I shot it for a while, then it sat in the corner for years. One day I found something else that I wanted more, so out it went.
My MP-153 features would cost well over $600, if it were any other brand.
* Gas operated and relieved, wood or synthetic stocks, 24", 26" or 28" barrel choices, Imp./Mod./Full chokes come with the shotgun, chrome lined barrel, 3.5" chamber, vent rib and a recoil pad.

I always thought it was odd that Remington didn't touch the MP-155, the pump action models. They were 3.5" chambers and sold for $275. Definately some market competition. If there's a drawback to these shotguns, it would be the choke tube thread is a True Choke thread of .695x44. Even so, Carlson makes them and they work great. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

Milo

Tatonka guide.
also consider a 28 gauge..i used to hunt with a 28 gauge SxS most of the time. They are essentially the same load as a 410

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Other than ammo availibility the .28 is a better gauge than the .410. My favorite grouse and rabbit gun is an older franchi semi auto. I think cz still make an o/u and a sxs in .28.

Hey Tom, how's the b-day going?????

Anyway, the only drawback is that the 28 ga. over the counter shells are not a lot on the shelf..... .410's have more of a variety over the counter.... So unless you're set up for reloading you are limited and kinda pricey as well..... Not that .410's are cheap either.....

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Hey Tom, how's the b-day going?????

Anyway, the only drawback is that the 28 ga. over the counter shells are not a lot on the shelf..... .410's have more of a variety over the counter.... So unless you're set up for reloading you are limited and kinda pricey as well..... Not that .410's are cheap either.....
we reload everything...cept 22's...the 28 patterns much better. I have a churchill 28ga SxS.. always liked it cause i could break it down quickly and chase down deer runnin beagles...fuggers

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
we reload everything...cept 22's...the 28 patterns much better. I have a churchill 28ga SxS.. always liked it cause i could break it down quickly and chase down deer runnin beagles...fuggers

I gave up chasing beagles years ago.... collars are like having them on a half mile long leash.... lol... we always reloaded as well saves money in the long run and I can have exactly what I want....