Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Unreal...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was talking to my uncle last night about how their muzzleloader season and I couldn't believe what he had to say. On the last day, my cousin left the house around lunch time to do some still hunting. Around 1:30 he jumped a decent sized doe and busted her with a well placed shot. He gutted the doe, then walked back to the house to get a truck or ATV. My uncle was down the road the neighbors, so my cousin drove down and picked up the neighbors Gator, then the two of them headed back to pick up the deer. By the time they got back to the deer (around an hour after the gut job) coyotes had already eaten more than half of BOTH back hams on the deer!!! At 2 o'clock in the afternoon!!!

Guess where I'll be coyote hunting this weekend!!!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Flat out ridiculous, I didn't think they were as bad up this way yet, but I heard rumor that a guy put a trail cam over a coyote den this spring and had pics of over a dozen fawns being hauled in. Going to try to get some more info and hopefully see the pics.

Best of luck on thinning out the yotes down there Jesse, I know it's on my priority list for the next couple months! That's too bad about your cousins deer too.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I got a caller now and a wingman (cousin) who is deadly with the Remington .30-06. I'll be running the Benelli with 00 Buck, so we should make a deadly team over the next couple of months. Also, I just dropped a 100 bones on trapping supplies so the legendary TOO trapper Diablo can give me a crash course on trapping this weekend. My main focus from now until turkey is coyotes!!!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Maybe they are getting to be like the bears in some parts of the country where the sound of a gun shot = a easy meal.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dang that is quick! The gunshot theory may hold some water too, esspecially after both gun seasons being so good to the coyote's bellies.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
then you beat him with a stick to send a message to the other coyotes....oh wait this isn't chicago...:smiley_blackeye:

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Wow! I never heard of them on one that fast. That's nuts!

We had one get on a buddy's deer within 2 hours during the late archery season a few years back. We both shot does, mine dropped in sight, his was hit a little back and ran off. We took the stands to the truck and walked back in to start gutting mine. In the short time that took, the yotes were already down wind of my deer. We could hear them yipping and walking through the woods toward us. Talk about making the hair on your neck stand up!

They must have smelled us too & backed out, only to catch wind of the other wounded deer. We drug my deer back to the truck, and returned to start tracking the other one. There was good sign, plus snow made it easy to follow the trail. We knew we were gonna find this deer based on the blood, plus she was snagging intestine on every branch and briar that she went through. I figured she'd be just about field dressed by the time we caught up! Nope!

After about 1/2 mile of tracking through woods & field, the deer broke out into a cut bean field and that's where the yotes caught up to her, coming in from both sides of her tracks were multiple sets of yote tracks. She made it about 100 yards into the open before they caught up to her. We never saw the yotes, but they had the deer cleaned out from top to bottom. No guts, heart, lungs, nothing. Plus her hams and from shoulder were thrashed. There was fur and blood everywhere in the snow. It was an ugly scene for sure, and amazed me at just how quickly those things were on these deer.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Shot a doe three years ago with a bow in early season. I walked back to the truck, met a buddy, and we went back in the dark. It had only been about 45 min. I started the gut job and we could see and hear the yotes running around in the thick bushes not 40 yards from us.. They we're running around circling us and yipping as i gutted the deer... We drug the deer off and didn't get 50 yards before we could hear them fighting over the guts.

epe

Lancaster
Shot a doe three years ago with a bow in early season. I walked back to the truck, met a buddy, and we went back in the dark. It had only been about 45 min. I started the gut job and we could see and hear the yotes running around in the thick bushes not 40 yards from us.. They we're running around circling us and yipping as i gutted the deer... We drug the deer off and didn't get 50 yards before we could hear them fighting over the guts.

Crazy.. too bad you didn't have a gun to go back and blast them all with...

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
My buddy and I were hunting Virginia several years back when he shot a good buck with his bow. He gave the buck 10 minutes before he started tracking. As he approached the buck, he noticed a Black bear trying to drag it away. It wasnt 10 minutes from the time he shot until he got onthe deer and that bear was already knawing at his face. He got some of it on video..

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Man that sucks.

Getting the caller out and going at it myself the next few days.

Good luck Jesse. Maybe next time I'm down you can pass along the trapping teachings to me :)