Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NOCK OUT!!! A competitive archery reality TV show

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Doesn't do much for me. I would take a guy that puts down good deer with a bow every year over "most" of the top competitive archers out there. In a hunting environment, I do not know that many of these "competitive" archers have a huge advantage. Sort of like Travis Pastrana in the crazy x-games stuff. He is amazing at what he does. When he was racing motocross, he was insanely fast. However, he rarely held it together without crashing in order to make a career out of racing. Kind of the same thing. Calculated, he can make amazing jumps. In a fast moving pace of a race, he is not quite as good. Still has mad skills. I would bet many of these competitive archers would be the same when in a fast thinking situation such as hunting. I know I don't shoot as well in a stand as I do when practicing. lol

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Doesn't do much for me. I would take a guy that puts down good deer with a bow every year over "most" of the top competitive archers out there. In a hunting environment, I do not know that many of these "competitive" archers have a huge advantage. Sort of like Travis Pastrana in the crazy x-games stuff. He is amazing at what he does. When he was racing motocross, he was insanely fast. However, he rarely held it together without crashing in order to make a career out of racing. Kind of the same thing. Calculated, he can make amazing jumps. In a fast moving pace of a race, he is not quite as good. Still has mad skills. I would bet many of these competitive archers would be the same when in a fast thinking situation such as hunting. I know I don't shoot as well in a stand as I do when practicing. lol

I hate to disagree, but I have to. Levi Morgan, perhaps one of the best competitive archers of all-time, smoked a deer at 80+ yds on a hunting show. For your average hunter, that kind of range isn't even a thought. For a competitive archer of that caliber, that shot's a piece of cake. I'm sure there are some that don't perform well under pressure... or can hit x's all day but get uncontrollable buck fever... But for the ones that can, having the ability to take a shot like that is an obvious advantage. Sort of like hunting with a PSE Tac 15 crossbow... It'll drive tacks out to 100+ yds... More than 3 times your average hunter's effective range, I'd say that's an advantage.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I know a couple of lights out indoor shooters than couldn't hit a deer at 15 yards. Buck fever is its own ailment and simply being a great shot is not enough to overcome that. I might watch the show just because I enjoy archery, but I'd like to see one with a similar premise geared toward realistic hunting opportunities...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've known some of the best 3d shooters in the world. My opinion is that they are usually also the very best at shooting at game. To go through the stress of competion requires a meticulous, mental game. Most of them transfer that to shooting real deer too. I'm not talking about the millions of wannabees, I'm referring to top shooters. Then again, I've met a few really good shooters that have never shot at a deer...I'd bet they would fall apart. From personal experience, there is nothing better for your hunting accuracy than shooting 3D with complete strangers. You get to know folks from all over the country, and you learn to concentrate on putting your arrow where you want it under pressure. It isn't the same as a deer, but you will want to shoot well to the point of making it harder on yourself -like you would on a really good deer.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just watched that clip. Dang that would be fun. The guys shooting pins arent representin very well! Send in Milo for the GOLD!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I suppose I will. Not too seriously I don't imagine, just the local stuff with Milo and crew. Apache is shooting Feb 19th I think. You up for it?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I may just be. I will see how I am doing. Getting the bow set up at Milos tomorrow. I haven't shot since Thanksgiving so I need to nock the rust off. I may go down to Broken Arrow a couple days next week for some warm up.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Having shot indoor tourneys and 3D alot back in my heydays I really liked watching this show. It reminded me of shooting in the American Field Tourney up at the Bow and Barrel club when I was in the Ohio Archers Association. I'd watch it on a weekly basis and makes me want to get back into competition again. I agree with Brock and Jim that the pressure you experience on the line with a auditorium full of onlookers or a small group of 5 can be damn close to when drawing and holding steady on a book buck. IMO

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I did watch the pilot episode posted up here. Just not my thing. I can't watch racing either. I am too competitive. I would rather be there competing than sitting here watching it on my butt. lol

Thanks for sharing OMO. No need to apologize. Everyone has their thing. Just not mine.

Points well taken by Brock, Jim, and the rest of you defending the abilities of the competitive archers. My apologies if I had offended anyone with my speculations.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
3D doesn't shake me much. I enjoy it and did well when I did. The one that gets me is spots. It can get down right nerve racking for me.

I went to a 3D shoot for charity and Connie was there. That was an experience.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Any of you ever shoot the "Buckmaster" type shoots with pop up targets? I did it several years ago, and enjoyed the heck out of it. I actually shot really well in it too, but a fella from around Dayton was way more into than I was. It cost 10 bucks a round. I hoped up on the stand, shot my round, and went to work. A buddy of mine had shot before me. He was so nervous shooting in front of a couple hundred folks he turned loose of his release...shot the sucker down range! :) Anyway, he stuck around to watch the show. The guy that had been in the lead before I shot kept paying to shoot another round until he had finally beat my score. I didn't know they would let you keep paying to play or I may have stuck around to see how it all shook out...they had some really good prizes, and I guess the guy was looking at it like an investment. Anyway, being on that stand and shooting in front of a crowd was pretty cool. I can't think of a more intense scenerio aside from shooting a deer. We still give my buddy a hard time about shooting his release down range...ha, poor dude was shook up.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I did watch the pilot episode posted up here. Just not my thing. I can't watch racing either. I am too competitive. I would rather be there competing than sitting here watching it on my butt. lol

Thanks for sharing OMO. No need to apologize. Everyone has their thing. Just not mine.

Points well taken by Brock, Jim, and the rest of you defending the abilities of the competitive archers. My apologies if I had offended anyone with my speculations.

I don't think you offended anyone, Phil. It's pretty hard to do that around here. lol I totally get what you're saying... I'm sure there are plenty of guys that can shoot 3d lights out but struggle on real game... But for the guys that are good at 3d, they're the best when it comes to handling pressure... like Brock said. And I know that, even though I'm no where near being a professional archer, shooting 3d courses has undoubtedly made me a better shot in the deer woods.