Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coyote rut behavior?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Anyone remember the time frame when most of the coyote breeding begins to take place? I know last year I saw signs of it in the snow but I don't remember when it was. I am leaning towards February, but not positive on the dates I first noticed. I am trying to push off any coyote hunting until I am done with deer season. However, I might just go out this week and tag a doe and call it a season. I am just not finding any shooters right now on the properties I have available. I know there are a couple "in the area" that are alive, but nothing I have seen with any sort of pattern or regularity that would enable me to get on them in 2-3 weeks remaining. It might just be time to start the coyote hunting hardcore again instead of waiting 2-3 more weeks.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I do believe most canines breeding is in January with a little in Feb. A friend seen two red fox's dog-knotted together with the bino's during muzzy season.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Phil,

Fox breeding will take place locally within the next 5 to 15 days.....As far as coyotes go, they will start heavy breeding around the same time. The yotes will breed all the way into early March, but any time late January through February is prime time.

Don't give up yet on your buck tag yet! It only takes one sit to get it filled.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
im not real good at coyote hunting yet i know the basics, im decent with some calls and have a primos power dog. i went out saturday morning for a few didnt see any. ive seen alot of dogs this year while deer hunting. does any one have any tips on helping me put some of them on the ground. i shot one last year when i was calling but i think it was more luck than anything.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Phil,

Fox breeding will take place locally within the next 5 to 15 days.....As far as coyotes go, they will start heavy breeding around the same time. The yotes will breed all the way into early March, but any time late January through February is prime time.

Don't give up yet on your buck tag yet! It only takes one sit to get it filled.

That is what I was thinking Chad. Thanks for verifying. Pretty much anytime from here til spring basically.

In regards to the buck tag, I am on the fence. I could pop a doe, call the season a good season and move on. I could hold off until the last week and then risk eating a tag. I could continue doing what I am which is scouting and keeping my hopes up. Problem is, whenever we have snow falling, I am working. I need it to snow, stay cold, hold 3-6" of snow or more on the ground, and then hunt it after I am caught up on sleep. So far, we haven't seen that. I am afraid the little snow we have will be melting quickly today.