Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Short bunny hunt

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
After chatting about bunny hunting on another thread, and my son Mason bugging me all morning, we decided to go across the road for a short hunt. Took us a while to get ourselves together (including two trips back to the house on the quad) but we finally got the dogs loose. They jumped one up within the first ten minutes, and made a really nice chase out of it. He eventually circled right back. He was pretty close for several minutes, with me coaching my son as I would see the rabbit off and on through the brush. He turned to me and said, "Dad, I get the first shot. You are just too fast when you shoot" I told him he had better not prick around because I take this rabbit killing pretty serious.:smiley_bril: Anyway, the rabbit can hoping around, Mason raised his gun and busted him stone dead. That required a couple of high fives since it was only the second rabbit he'd shot in front of the dogs!

We hunted the remainder of the over grown pasture without the dogs finding another bunny to chase. We did however jump up a pretty nice buck that only trotted away, and stood broadside on an open hill staring at us. Dang that was pretty, and I'd have traded my favorite boots to have been able to shoot him. We actually found half dozen fresh deer beds too, which provided a little entertainment and education for Mason. Not a bad way to waste an hour or two.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This is aggrevating, and I dont have time to screw with it. Anyway, picture a chubby kid in camo and orange holding a dead rabbit and 20 gauge. :)