Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Wool sweaters

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
How do you wear a wool sweater? I would think that you wouldn't have it right on the skin, right? Never wore one, but I have one now.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Wool can be itchy...but wool be warm.
We used to have green wool cold weather fatigues way back when in the National Guard, they worked pretty good.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I always wear something under it so it doesn't get directly too the skin..... I like the dufold material in between.....

Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
if it is soft enough you can wear against the skin like merino. regular wool is difficult. silk or any other light base layer will work.

saddlepants

central Ohio
I can only wear "Smart- Wool" next to the skin and those products are awsome. Soft Virgin wool can usually be worn next to the skin. Virgin wool (like smart wool) is the first shearing of a lamb and its not itchy. Never had a wool sweater like this though. I have smart wool socks and tights and its all I wear now hunting. I HATED wool until I found smart wool. But another great idea Is silk long johns under a wool sweater but make sure its the turtle neck kind or the sweater collar will drive you itchy nutz

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My wool sweater was Army issue. I would recommend wearing something under it if it is anything like mine. lol

RRJJ

Removed by Request.
Wool doesn't seem itchy to everyone - me for example. Others are more sensitive. I sleep with a wool blanket and while it just feels rigid and stiff to me, it itches the crap out of my wife. Go figure...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wool doesn't seem itchy to everyone - me for example. Others are more sensitive. I sleep with a wool blanket and while it just feels rigid and stiff to me, it itches the crap out of my wife. Go figure...

Are you referring to your hairy back again? lmao

saddlepants

central Ohio
LOL, I couldnt stand wool till I found smart wool. I was in the army and those socks they gave us?!...OMG I had to run to the PX first chance I got and buy two dozen cotton socks LOL

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't recall any options in basic training SP. You wore the socks and undies they gave you. After that, it was a different story.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Mike, last year for MZ I wore a silver max baselayer,a microfleece shirt and a wool sweater (that I got at Saver's for $3)...no itch, just perfect warmth in the snowy days of muzzleloader of last season...I wore it this year for the bonus weekend and noticed when I got home that it had somehow turned into a belly shirt...now I will hand it down as it is a lucky sweater IMO...my wife is due with twins in March, so if I ever hunt again and need another wool sweater I will go back to saver's or goodwill for another one!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I have an old, heavy, wool sweater I wear duck hunting, but always over a base layer. Definitely keeps me warm, plus I like to look nice killin' stuff. :smiley_coolpeace: