Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Friday Rabbit hunt

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well, the cold and the wind or the little amount of snow we had couldn't deter a few crazy rabbit hunters..... Sam, CJ and I went out rabbit hunting all day well most of it at least :smiley_clap: We started around 0900 and finished up around 3:30 had a few runs with one going straight to a hole and another falling too the 28 gauge toting Sam..... :smiley_coolpeace: We hit the first property and had a short run that apparently the rabbit was thinking WTH are these crazy bastards doing here today :smiley_clap: It ran in front of me with Sam about 10 yards away it stopped looked up at me and retreated and ran around me straight too the safety (and warmth) of a hole :smiley_blackeye: Probably should of shot the little peckerwood but figured I'd get him on the second go around lol..... NOT...... We did a big loop around the property that was a mixture of pine trees and treeline thickets.... It also had two ponds with pine boardering it from the west..... The wind was howling in the open areas and on the west side of the property until you got into the pines.... Seems like most of the bunnies didn't want to come out too play..... Go figure lol..... The dogs got on trail of one either Sam or myself put out, and brought it around too Sams 28 gauge pump..... He made a good shot on it ( Sam I won't tell him the second shot was better then the first :smiley_clap:) well he got it and the dogs struggled with it a litlle and finally caught up to it on the ground in front of us.... That was the highlight of the action for the day un be known too us lol.....
Went for a lunch break around noon and had a sandwich and I had coffee that really hit the spot (Thanks Sam for treating us too lunch) I wish the weather would of cooperated a little bit better for the hunt since CJ had driven all the way down from the snow belt of Ashtabula, but it wasn't a total waste lol.... We had a good time even though the weather wasn't the best and had lots of good conversations and am really looking forward to the next rabbit hunt with them and hopefully its sooner than later.....
Again CJ it was good spending the day with you my friend and Sam as always it was good too get out in the field with you again..... Hope too do it again real soon......

Oh and for the record three of the 5 gauges were accounted for today, 28, 20, .410 2 pumps and an O/U ....... Sorry but no pictures were taken due to the risk of frostbite if you showed bare skin rotflmao

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Thanks for guiding J. To be honest I didnt have much hope of moving any bunnies in today's weather, Penny and Katie did a real good job. It was good to get out with you and cjd. It was good to bloody that little Ithaca too.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Well Bowana, those areas would have produced a lot more action were it not for the blowing (sideways) snow.:smiley_crazy:
I enjoyed hunting over both your dogs. Its been a long time since I had a beagle or a kid working the brush. I also enjoyed hearing you and Sam tell me stories about the local area as well as the stories we shared of hunting from years past...

It felt good to carry Gramps ol model 12 afield again. Its one of my happy places.
Also I appreciated the lunch Sam. Thank You.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds like good times! Too bad our "elders" forgot to take pictures. "Frostbite risk" my ass. lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Good deal fellas! We were talking about a rabbit hunt this morning. Been forever since I've been on one. Sounds like a good time was had by all!!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We need to have a rabbit hunt and get some guys to meet in a central location..... I've got 2 beagles and not afraid to travel lol.... CJ traveled over an hour too come down too meet up with Sam and I..... I know Fred and Coty have dogs and I think a few others do as well.... If we get a lot of folks interested we'd probably have too hit some public land due too the numbers of hunters lol.....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd make a couple drive one day to get in on that action. I know nothing about rabbit hunting, so just tell me when and where! LOL!!!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Like I've said before, I'm game. I've only had the pup out twice and yet to score for her. I need to draw blood to get her going.
Not sure if my old dog has it in her anymore. The will is there. The place we went to the last two times doesn't have many rabbits so it's hard to tell. In fact, I'm not sure of many good places around here. Fernwood state forest is 5 minutes from my house and has some good looking places but sadly I've never tried it. I've always hunted my sportsmans club or private property.
Maybe I'll try it one day and see if it's worth hooking up here.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Mike, can you take a walk around since this last snow and see if the tracks there would make it worthwhile?????

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That sounds like a good time, but you guys are clear across the state from me! We may take our dogs out here in a few. Our pups are getting soft. We kill a rabbit and they look at us like "why?". Hehe. I think they like to chase 'em but don't want 'em shot...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That sounds like a good time, but you guys are clear across the state from me! We may take our dogs out here in a few. Our pups are getting soft. We kill a rabbit and they look at us like "why?". Hehe. I think they like to chase 'em but don't want 'em shot...

Brock has the only tree hugging beagles I've heard of rotflmao...... How old are they Brock?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They turned 3 in September. I swear they know if you kill the rabbit when you shoot. Sounds like bs, but its true. If you miss, they never break stride and run right on past. If you hit, they stop and start looking for another. I don't mean they are right on the bunny's butt, they know from 100 yards...weird. One of 'em forgets her name when you go hunting, the other will track you down if she hasn't seen you in a while, complete with barks, different than if she's on a rabbit, but barking as she tracks you....I swear it's true!:) I let her track a while, call for her, she shuts up and comes running. BTW, I have 1000's of acres to rabbit hunt, plus public that doesn't see much small game pressure anymore if anyone wants to do a "west side of the state" hunt.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Brock, if I split the dogs up like I do every now and then and just take one out..... The younger one will also get paranoid and if she isn't on a track and can't find me ( I hide sometimes lol) she'll start barking for me too respond..... but at times when I don't want to make it easy for her she will scent track me too my hiding spot..... Give her a treat everytime lol..... So yeah dogs have just as many phobias as humans do....

What part of the western side are you near? I got a buddy down by Dayton/Sprinfield area..... I can crash at his place and bring him along as well as anyone who wants too show.....

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mike, can you take a walk around since this last snow and see if the tracks there would make it worthwhile?????

It's possible, but only if I can talk the boys into going today. My wife is taking the daughter to some Disney on ice thing so I have the boys.
Tomorrow I'm going four wheeling.

I'll see what I get into and post on here if I find anything promising. I do have one spot that was always money when my old dog was in her prime. It borders club property and sate ground. We might be able to hit that. It's hilly but we rarely left without shots taken.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Brock, if I split the dogs up like I do every now and then and just take one out..... The younger one will also get paranoid and if she isn't on a track and can't find me ( I hide sometimes lol) she'll start barking for me too respond..... but at times when I don't want to make it easy for her she will scent track me too my hiding spot..... Give her a treat everytime lol..... So yeah dogs have just as many phobias as humans do....

What part of the western side are you near? I got a buddy down by Dayton/Sprinfield area..... I can crash at his place and bring him along as well as anyone who wants too show.....

I am just north of Paint Creek WA, Greenfield. Between Washington Court House and Hillsboro. Speaking of Springfield, I would suggest crashing at Joe's house. I suspect its been mostly empty since he's found a warm wet spot to sleep...hehe.