Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ready to roll...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Broadheads are scary sharp again. Arrows are stuffed in the quiver. Recurve is shooting good, even wearing cold weather gear. I'm as ready as I get. Unless something comes up (which it often does) I am going to KY to finish up their bow season on Sunday. It goes out Monday, outside chance I may stay over night if I get in 'em good. I've been waiting on snow and cold weather, I'll take what I can get since its the last weekend. Taking my dad's old bow, its 52-54 years old and still shoots like a dream. Missed a dandy with it in '88, it needs a little redemption. Dang, the things we do for fun.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for the well wishes. I got the fun part out of the way - the getting ready. Hope it works out. I've always enjoyed hunting down there, and never had much trouble finding deer and turkey. Its just a fun place to be. This will be my first late season hunt down there though, so I may need to follow the learning curve a little. Seems those standing corn fields should have deer around 'em. We'll see.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
260+ miles on my old truck. 8+ miles on my boots. Sat for a spell on my butt. Didn't see a deer, but still had a pretty good time. I was entirely too late trying to hunt the standing corn fields. They were wiped out some time ago. There were older tracks, rubs and scrapes all around them. Stalks were beat down, cobbs were picked clean. Good plan, poor execution I guess.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
J, I came home last night. Just made a long day of it. I really didn't find a concentration of sign, or deer the way I had hoped. Covered a lot of ground and didn't jump a thing so I figure I wasn't in an area they were feeding/living and didn't want to be away from home to sit in empty woods.

FS- There are several very small corn fields. They are scattered, and thats the reason I did so much walking. Its a long way between them. They range in size from a couple acres to maybe five or so. No corn left that I could find. I suspect with a light acorn crop this year, they hit it a little earlier than normal.