Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Pissin' up a rope?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Our only real option for tomorrow's hunt is a spot on the Ohio that is on the backside of an island. The water is up, but not bad. However it's choppy as hell. My buddy wants to run 3-4 dekes close to shore with the Mojo as a feeder hen in front of the blind. We're gonna throw some geese down river of the blind near a deadfall.

Is the choppy water a death sentence for a river hunt? Nearly all the inland water is open and we're way TOO close to a pay lake...

epe

Lancaster
After tonight I doubt inland water will be open... How choppy? The wind will affect the birds more than the chop...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just my own experience here... but I've never had much luck getting ducks to come down into choppy water. When it's cold, and windy, they'll be looking for calm water if there is any.

Here's what I would do... If that spot is your only option, ditch the Mojo and set up a jerk rig with 2 or 3 dekes attached. These ducks have been seeing mojos all season, man. Your best bet trying to lure them into that choppy water is to fool them with realism. Other than live ducks, a jerk rig is about as good as it gets for adding that extra bit of realism to a spread. And if you're planning on setting up close to shore anyway, a jerk rig is a no-brainer.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I ordered a jerk rig to go with my dekes; wish they were here!

The good news is we are headed to the Mighty Muskingum in the morning. We have a spot up here next to some cut corn fields. All the water in the fields is froze up, so they'll have to hit the river at some point. The spot we hunt is in a bend in the river, so it should be fairly calm. Last time I was there, the hunting was hot all day. I'm hoping for more of the same!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Here's one idea for an easy jerk rig....

Try to use one of those long bungee cords, or one that's pretty wore out... that way it doesn't pull hard and it gives your dekes a lot of travel. Pull on it and they swim toward you... let go and they swim the other way.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We reneges on the Musky. Decided to hit a new spot on the river. So far, so good. Had 4 in range before shooting light, then a group of 4 shortly after. We lost one drake somehow. The river is FAST!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We reneges on the Musky. Decided to hit a new spot on the river. So far, so good. Had 4 in range before shooting light, then a group of 4 shortly after. We lost one drake somehow. The river is FAST!!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326545076.428682.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326545076.428682.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 137