Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Canada double

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Work was slow today so instead of rotting in the office all afternoon I decided to take off a couple hours early and head to a field. None of my big cornfields have been holding birds this week, so my only choice was to hunt a sileage field that's within a couple hundred yards of the roost pond. I figured setting up near traffic was as good a shot as any at this point.

All set up with about four dozen Real Geese silos... The sileage is out front of me, and at the back of my blind the field transitions to winter wheat. Here's a pic from out front...

Sometime close to 5 o'clock, the big flocks started flying in from the fields. I had one group of about 30-40 birds come right over top and give me a hard look, but they wouldn't commit. Several other flights came through but they only wanted to get in to the roost pond. I figured this would happen... Birds coming back to the roost have a belly full of food already, so landing in my spread to feed some more was really asking for a lot.

With about ten minutes to go, a hear a honk to the south and I see two geese flying low right toward me. Oh yea... These are the ones I'm looking for. :smiley_bril: I gave 'em a few clucks and moans and they cupped wings. As they glided in from my right, I sprung out of the blind and let 'em have it. Two shots, two geese on the ground. Oh happy day. :)

The one on the left was a hoss... Probably one of the biggest geese I've shot in a while. He weighed in at 12.09 lbs on the luggage scale. No bling bling, though... The curse continues. lol

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
F'n A right doggie! You like those dekes pretty well?

They're ok... good enough to get the job done on most occasions. I would take full-bodies over them any day of the week for realism, but these are much easier to carry in and take up less room in the garage. Four dozen of these fit in a bag that takes up about 2'x2'.... Four dozen full bodies are gonna require a shed and/or a trailer.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Damn. I thought them fuckers would be cheaper! This waterfowling this is retardedly expensive!!!

Yea, Real Geese prices are fuggin absurd... considering they're just stamped-out plastic that's photoprinted. Get used to it buddy... Waterfowling gear prices in general are absurd.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Love me my.real geese. I put out 6 dozen tonight...first pair in came in on my side...2 shots later and I had. My limit with bling. Banded in Nunavut, Canada 7/24/2004 as an adult.

Last edited:

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Yep, I will get with you....hunting somewhere just not positive where...not sure who is wanting to go. Got permission for a big gravel pit that hasn't been hunted .gonna hafta really watch myself there cause its a miracle I got permission. May end up hunting the same spot I hunted tonight tho....you know where that is.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
And for anyone skeptical bout silhouettes ..I routinely have geese land in em and walk around...had one land 5 yds in front of the blind tonight.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse, I would watch craigslist for deals...be patient and constantly check and you can find bargains.

The biggest problem is getting them. There ain't shit for waterfowling gear in the Craigslist ads around here. I need to start watching other areas of the state and get the Trans-Ohio Redneck Express to get it down here!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep, I will get with you....hunting somewhere just not positive where...not sure who is wanting to go. Got permission for a big gravel pit that hasn't been hunted .gonna hafta really watch myself there cause its a miracle I got permission. May end up hunting the same spot I hunted tonight tho....you know where that is.

Sounds good, dude. I'm gonna try to bowhunt in Dellroy on Sunday, but I'd probably be game for some goosin' on Saturday. I'll check some of my other fields tomorrow afternoon and see what other opportunities we could have. Tonight the birds were finally flying to roost from the south... South is where the majority of my goose fields are so hopefully I/we can get on 'em quick.

The biggest problem is getting them. There ain't shit for waterfowling gear in the Craigslist ads around here. I need to start watching other areas of the state and get the Trans-Ohio Redneck Express to get it down here!!!

Might not be a bad idea to put some feelers out on the waterfowling forums like OW and greatlakeswaterfowler. Let people know you're looking and you may just stumble on a deal.

Longdraw

Central,Ohio
Went with curran tonight,and we used 3doz. realgeese they are nice when you have too carry in

We think this little bird is a lesser,what do you guys think??????????

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Went with curran tonight,and we used 3doz. realgeese they are nice when you have too carry in

We think this little bird is a lesser,what do you guys think??????????

Good stuff, longdraw!!! Sure looks like it could be a lesser to me, buddy. The bill is usually a dead giveaway... The bill on a lesser will be much shorter than the bill on a giant.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Good stuff, longdraw!!! Sure looks like it could be a lesser to me, buddy. The bill is usually a dead giveaway... The bill on a lesser will be much shorter than the bill on a giant.

What he said.....lesser have shorter stubby looking beaks.