Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

You think huntesr get upset over ODNR numbers

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
You should hear farmers when the USDA releases one of their reports on production or supply and demand. USDA "found" 50 million bushels of corn since December, expectations were the production would go down and not up. So today the opening calls are limit down (.40 cents) on corn.

Lots of farmers and traders think the USDA is manipulating numbers to try to lower prices in an election year.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
So what you are saying is farmers got what they wanted from a decimated deer herd and now it'll cost them in the wallet?!? Ah the irony...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Farmers are generally unhappy about everything........too much rain, too little rain, too cold, too hot, grain prices, blah blah blah.........it's always something.

I don't see any of them driving old pickups around here, and they all have brand new equipment.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
No its about government agencies that calculate things and maybe have ulterior motives built into their calculations.

You mean like the DNR estimating the deer herd at 750,000 deer for four seasons in a row in an attempt to decimate the herd to appease the Farm Bureau and insurance companies?!?

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Remember Ohio Farm Bureau is an insurance company. While technically separate they share office space in Cbus with Nationwide, Nationwide policy holders get discounts for joining OFBF, OFBF publications are full of Nationwide propaganda. I've said for a long time that FB is more interested in the deer because of Nationwide then because of farmers. A good example was Sunday hunting, majority of OFBF members opposed Sunday hunting but OFBF ended up finding a compromise to allow it because ultimately they had to if they wanted the kill increased, regardless of what the membership wanted. They just use good will farmers generally have with the public for political gains for Nationwide. One of my issues with OFBF is their annual meeting is always week of gun season so hunters are underrepresented at the annual meeting.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Remember Ohio Farm Bureau is an insurance company. While technically separate they share office space in Cbus with Nationwide, Nationwide policy holders get discounts for joining OFBF, OFBF publications are full of Nationwide propaganda. I've said for a long time that FB is more interested in the deer because of Nationwide then because of farmers. A good example was Sunday hunting, majority of OFBF members opposed Sunday hunting but OFBF ended up finding a compromise to allow it because ultimately they had to if they wanted the kill increased, regardless of what the membership wanted. They just use good will farmers generally have with the public for political gains for Nationwide. One of my issues with OFBF is their annual meeting is always week of gun season so hunters are underrepresented at the annual meeting.

I can see that. I became a FB member when I switched to Nationwide. Win/win for all...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
So what you are saying is farmers got what they wanted from a decimated deer herd and now it'll cost them in the wallet?!? Ah the irony...

Yep, I was also thinking:

Farmers apply for kill permits and cuss the deer for eating their corn then their corn gets sold to us hunters at a inflated price only to be dumped on the ground or in a feeder for the deer. It's funny when you look at it that way.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Farmers are generally unhappy about everything........too much rain, too little rain, too cold, too hot, grain prices, blah blah blah.........it's always something.

I don't see any of them driving old pickups around here, and they all have brand new equipment.
Try working at a grain elevator. For the most part, most of the farmers are pretty good guys who love to stand around and BS. I think most of the unhappiness comes from them screwing themselves playing the market. Most of them Delay Price and pay a small fee for the elevator holding their grain. I bet 99% of them will watch the market soar and be tempted to sell, but to only hold on way to long when it plummets and then sell. Only to watch it go back up. But like you said, none of them around here drive old beat up farm trucks anymore. I like hearing them come in and explain how they were "forced" to buy a new one or Obama was gonna take their money. I'd love to have that problem

Anyone can make the "numbers" show what they want...whether it's the DNR or FFA or Ohio Insurance Commision.
Most of it bores me. Nuts! :smiley_depressive:

Seems as though it's up to us hunters to regulate our own deer heards, in our own areas. Despite the availability of liberal tags and multiple weapon choices.

Bowhunter57