Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Odd little buck

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
A buddy got this odd little buck with his muzzleloader. He didn't realize it was a buck until he walked up to it. The side the tag is on has 3 points, longest about 2". The other side has 2 points about an 1.5". Wonder what this would have grown into? Cactus rack maybe?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That is odd. Would have been pretty cool to see what would have been huh. Maybe he would have been a huge narely looking buck or he may have been a small goofy racked buck his entire life. We will never know but we can use our imagination :)

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Sorry the pix isn't clearer, it was hanging upside down in his shop and I used my phone camera. None of the 5 points stick up 3" above his head.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
From what I saw it looked healthy. It was the size of a normal 1.5 yo buck. It was shot in farm country where food is plentiful.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Interesting. My theory is it was born REALLY late and didn't fully develop it's pedicles before winter... So the following year (this year), instead of a nice forkhorn or 6pt basket he grows a set of mongoloids. Pedicles are the "foundation" of antlers... Poor foundation = poor antlers.

Or... just plain shitty genetics. Hard to say, really.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
My theory is that he was abducted by aliens and the shock of being probed stunted his growth when he returned to earth

Cool looking deer tho :smiley_coolpeace: