Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Debate: Hunting age Limit?

saddlepants

central Ohio
January 06, 2012
Should Hunting Have an Age Limit? - 27
by Andrew McKean

Should there be any minimum age to hunt in America?

That’s a question that a lot of states are grappling with, as the very welcome Families Afield campaign works to reduce minimum-age requirements as part of a coordinated effort to remove barriers to hunting participation. As a resident of a state where the minimum age to hunt is 12, I know that age is a very real barrier, indeed.

I'm a father of twin boys who turned 11 years old yesterday, and I’ve long believed that the decision about when a youngster is ready to hunt should be made by parents. I’d like to believe that we parents have a better idea about the emotional, physical and intellectual development of our children than the state does. And, besides, isn’t nearly any age arbitrary? Who is to say that your 12-year-old (or even 16-year-old) is ready to hunt? Or that my 9-year-old is not?

But today I read about a Virginia 4-year-old who killed two does on his father’s deer lease and it made me wonder if perhaps 4 years old is too young. Did the boy really have the awareness of what he was doing, taking the life of another animal? Does that matter?

I’d like to hear what you think on the topic. It’s one that goes to the very heart of what hunting is about – awareness of one’s actions. But it also goes to the very heart of the argument that if we want to perpetuate our American tradition of hunting, then we need to recruit youngsters as hunters before they get distracted by cars and video games and flirting. And it also goes to the heart of the biggest issue of all: whose job is it to define when a person is ready to hunt – the parent or the government?

Let the debate begin!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have been hunting alone since my shotgun was taller than me. It's up to the parents.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Up to the parents for me.

When I hear of 4 year olds killing deer I have to raise an eyebrow though. Alot of shennigans seem to happen when you hear of children that young killing ANYTHING! Don't you have to be able to hold the weapon up to make the shot? and hold it steady? Just sayin".

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Same as others have said. It's up to the parents to decide. I started hunting long ago tagging along with my dad. I got my hunting license when I was 8 years old and had already been out in the woods for as far back as I can remember.

As FS said, 4 years old is stretching it a bit IMHO. It's amazing how trigger sticks and tri-pods have changed things and made it easier for younger and younger kids to get out there some being way before they should. I still think it's up to the parents but as we all know some of them aren't all that bright either.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I wouldn't take a 4 year old hunting, but that should be my decision not the government's. I know 30 year olds that shouldn't be allowed to hunt.

saddlepants

central Ohio
Thats where I was. If I wanted to take my 4 YO out it should be up to me and it would be all about that particular 4 yo weather he actually used the weapon or just went along for the experience or not

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I believe it is up to the parent, but common sense does need to be considered. Does the child have the maturity to understand the moral implications of taking another living beings life? Does the child understand the difference between using a weapon on an animal as opposed to another human being? Is the child proficient with a weapon?

I know some younger kids (10 - 11 years old) that have more maturity and common sense than some adults. But I have never met a 4 year old that can understand what killing really is, much less sit still and be quiet long enough to effectively hunt a squirrel much less a deer. That sounds like B.S. to me. another dad taking advantage of youth season.

Perhaps children under a certain age, say 12, should be "tested" (for lack of a better word) on the ethics of hunting, weapon proficiency, and understanding that this isnt a video game. You shoot something or someone, they dont get back up for another try. This testing should be done without the parent or guardian being able to "coach".

You have to schedule and attend hunters safety courses, why not have the kids under a certain age be required to take an additional class where they will be asked questions about right and wrong, taken to a target range to see if they can actually fire a weapon, and observe their reactions to video footage of impact shots on deer and other wild game.

Just my 2 cents.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
As my daughters grew from babies into children, the repeated question from each in turn was "how old do I have to be before you will take me shooting", and later "hunting"?
I always responded "its not about how old you are, Its about how old you act."

Thats the way it was when I grew up so thats the way I roll.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I hate to say much because i know there are some guys on here that have taken their young children hunting. Not my place to judge.

Personally, my daughter is probably ready but my son is not. She is not pushing me to take her so i am not pushing her. I have taken them to sit, but have not purchased a cross bow or anything yet. This year is the year to introduce the BB gun. Maybe the 22 by the end of the summer. I do not think they will be hunting with a weapon yet. More sits in the stand. More time in the field. Probably a couple years before they are actually hunting an animal to kill it. That would put them at 9 and 12. Not saying I feel these are the appropriate ages. Just saying, as a parent, i don't feel my kids are ready. I think many parents push things a bit, but that is just my opinion.

tuffshot

The Crew
I watch the progression as a hunter even on members of this and other sites.
Knowing what you guys have learned over the years should be taken into concideration when introducing a youth to hunting at any age.
At what age is a good age to be a mentor to a youth?
Would you think that a guy who is in his first or second year of hunting experiance would make a good mentor?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I watch the progression as a hunter even on members of this and other sites.
Knowing what you guys have learned over the years should be taken into concideration when introducing a youth to hunting at any age.
At what age is a good age to be a mentor to a youth?
Would you think that a guy who is in his first or second year of hunting experiance would make a good mentor?

Very good question. Once again answered by "depends on the person". lol

I might not be the best hunter on the site. I might not have the most years under my belt. I might not be the best teacher around. I WILL, however, make sure my kids are safe and understand what they are doing when they pull the trigger. Both with the weapon and the consequences of their actions when they pull the trigger. I feel I would be a decent mentor for this reason. However, I am sure you could think of some guys with decades of experience and bucks lining their walls that might NOT be a good mentor. Depends on the person. That is a loaded question Tuffshot! Then again, I think you already knew this when you posted it. hahahaha

Hunter II

My now 12 year old son started hunting when he was 7 and killed 3 deer his first season using both a ML and crossbow. My youngest son is now 7 and just got his first BB gun for Christmas. Each kid is different. When I took my older son for the Hunter Safety class, after 3 years of Apprentice Licenses, I saw several kids who were going to pass the class but did not appear ready to carry a loaded weapon in the field.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My now 12 year old son started hunting when he was 7 and killed 3 deer his first season using both a ML and crossbow. My youngest son is now 7 and just got his first BB gun for Christmas. Each kid is different. When I took my older son for the Hunter Safety class, after 3 years of Apprentice Licenses, I saw several kids who were going to pass the class but did not appear ready to carry a loaded weapon in the field.

Good post and great example.

tuffshot

The Crew
Yes, it was a loaded question which only the individual can answer. It was not to single out anyone but to think of ones own experiance and think about it before trying to teach an open book such as a child when only having a basic knowledge of a subject. The other side of the coin is dedicated people who take the time to learn from others such as on this or other sites show a dedication to the sport. Something as simple as making the youth wear ear plugs during practice and hunting may save a child from hearing loss at an early age will be overlooked by some mentors.