Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

swing and a miss

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
On the way home from work today I realized I still had all my stuff in the truck from the weekend. As a matter of fact the muzzy still had a load in it. I figured, if I hurry, I can slip in along that fencerow and sit in the brush for the last hour or so.

I got to my spot, threw on the coveralls, and the orange vest, got my gun out of the case and grabbed my pack. Put in a primer as I was walking. 5 minutes later I found my self sitting in a fencerow that divides a cut cornfield from a cut beanfield with a little over 45 minutes to go.

Reg book said sunset was at 5:28 tonight. At 5:19 I looked to my right and saw the outline of a deer on a hilltop about 200 yards away. I looked through my scope to see a young doe... decisions, decisions.. Redcloud and I have been commenting on the lack of does in our area, and I have been debating about even shooting one anymore this year. I decided, Right now, she is too far away. and on the otherside of that hill is a road. I would rather not shoot over the hill. I got 9 minutes left, if she comes down this side of the hill I'll take a shot. Well, she did.

She was in no hurry, and by 5:26, (2 minutes left) she was still about 150 yards out. She turned towards the woods like she was gonna go back in, which offered me a quartering to shot. "out of time, now or never" ...

...BOOM!!!...

when the smoke cleared she was just standing there looking at me. Bout that time she noticed me move and turned and trotted into the woods, ears up, tail up, not what you would expect from a wounded deer.

CRAP!

I went ahead and looked anyway, no hair, no blood, no dead deer. guess I should try practicing a little farther than 80 yards next year.

Oh well, on the bright side, She will still be around in the spring to drop a fawn and boost our dwindling population up a little.

Gonna try again tomorrow after work.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I shot an 8pt tonight. He is probably low 130's. Came in at 138yds. Moved to about 100yds and grazed some more. It was killing me. I wanted to shoot him so bad. Then he came in and milled around at 58yds. By then the light was dwindling and I had to get down to take my daughter to dance class. I shot him a ton! Now I just need to figure out how to get the footage off my camcorder! lmao

FredT

SE Ohio
I went out right behind the house this afternoon with my .30-30 and cast bullets. It doesn't matter what you take out anymore does it. I soon saw what I was looking for and settled the cross hairs of the 2x7 scope right on the middle of the vitals and slowly squeezed the trigger and BAM, clang! The steel plate on the 75 yard distant tree leeped off of the trunk and fell back in place by the chain it is suspended on. 25 shots later I picked up the brass and went back inside. It was just too nice out today to not go out and shoot something!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I killed a tree unloading the muzzy while Klay took a piss. I waited til he turned and I could hear the pee hitting the leaves. Then... BOOM!!! You should've seen him jump ;)

daaaaaaadddd! lmao

I can hear him now. You painted a great picture and brought a big smile to my face with that one Mike!