Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Another kick in the nuts...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
On November 11, 2011, I hung a Spypoint IR-6 in a suspected buck bedding area in anticipation of some great intel. This is the first time I've hung a camera in this spot, so to say I was excited about it would be an understatement. Well that day I left for a week-long bowhunting excursion in SE Ohio and I didn't get to check the cam on my way back home. Actually, this past Saturday was the first time I've been down to this property since that camera was set. It was set on video mode to take 30-second clips, so I figured the memory card had to be full by now.

Much to my disappointment, when I checked the cam on Saturday I was greeted with a set of dead batteries and a memory card that had ZERO video clips on it. Fugger must have died right after I set it! So basically that cam just sat there and rotted for almost two months..... Sumbitch. :smiley_boos:

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
That sucks real bad Jim! I found that when the batteries are low and you power on the Spyoints, the battery bar appearance full first, then it will go to half and start blinking. I had two cameras sit for two weeks that were dead and I didn't even know it. When you turn them on, give it five seconds or so and watch the battery bar. If it doesn't move, you are good, if it goes to half, best just to put new batteries in.

Sorry to hear that Jim...Greg my moultrie is similar on the battery thing...It will read higher for a few seconds then stabilize..My cheapest cam dont even have a batt level indicator..But the sumbitch was 20$ an the trigger speed is as fast as a Bushnell trophy cam..It takes a pic everytime(so far) battery life sucks though,I swap batts every 500 pics:smiley_depressive:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That sucks real bad Jim! I found that when the batteries are low and you power on the Spyoints, the battery bar appearance full first, then it will go to half and start blinking. I had two cameras sit for two weeks that were dead and I didn't even know it. When you turn them on, give it five seconds or so and watch the battery bar. If it doesn't move, you are good, if it goes to half, best just to put new batteries in.

Thanks for the tip, Greg. I'm going to have to keep an eye on that indicator. I mean, it only takes 6 AAs so it's not like it breaks the bank when putting batteries in it... Probably better off to swap them out whether it really needs it or not.

It just bums me out because my Bushnell wasn't in the woods this entire time either, so I have absolutely no clue what went on down there for the past two months.... through the rut, through the gun seasons.... fugg.