Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

If you could go back..

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
With my senior year over half way over, I'm starting to have to face alot of decisions of what to do with my life. I've thought about it alot, and been fronted with quite a few different options. I got accepted into Hocking College , but I'm not so sure if I want to go to college or pursue a job/apprenticeship. If you guys/gals could go back what would you have done different or change about the decisions you made. I'm leaning towards an apprenticeship at the moment, but it changes daily lol.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
College is not for everyone..Don't make them force you into anything. There needs to be a desire to DO WHAT YOU LOVE TO DO. Don't go to school or nock a girl up until you figure that out. Kids today spend so much time studying to get into college they never get to experience what it is they want to do the rest of their life until they are 50K in debt. sometimes a couple years out of school makes you appreciate it more when you do try to go. My best suggestions is if your going to "do" something...quit fuggin around and do it and be the best at it..

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
If I could go back, I would go to college for sure. That is the only thing that is holding me back in my career or has held me back. I could be so far advanced right now its not even funny. I have gotten to where I am with alot of hard work and who I know.

If I had my degree, I could be making twice what I make now.

But I will say this, I never had parents that pushed me togo to school, if I was going to go, I had to do it on my own. They didn't even finish high school so they knew nothing on continued education and how important it was.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Like Milo said, don't go to college until you are 100% sure what you want to do. I am up to my eyeballs in student loan debt, but I wouldn't change anything because it's an investment that has benefitted me greatly. That being said, I know plenty of people who have even more student loan debt that me and don't have anything to show for it.

One thing that I maybe would change.... Don't get married until AFTER you are settled in a location with a career. I love my wife unconditionally and she's the best thing to ever happen to me. However, getting married before finding a career made finding a career much more difficult. These days, unless you're lucky, you need to be able to move if you want to find a career quickly. After college, it took me over two years before I found a career. Two years is a long time when you're working more than one job at a time to make sure bills are paid.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
One more thing... What are you thinking of doing right now? If you go to Hocking, what field would you like to study.

If you want to get into Fish and Wildlife Management, I will tell you this... I know from experience that this field is extremely difficult to get into full-time. Obviously, because it's an amazing field that allows you to focus on the things you love... Hunting, Fishing, and wildlife. If you go this route, be prepared to start from the VERY BOTTOM and work your way up. There will be multiple stints making minimum wage, where you'll basically be paying your dues. It's fine as long as you can still make ends meet. The best thing you could do is network... While going through school, take part in as many internships as you can. The saying is so true... It's not what you know, it's who you know. The more "ins" you have, the easier it will be to find a job.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
One more thing... What are you thinking of doing right now? If you go to Hocking, what field would you like to study.

If you want to get into Fish and Wildlife Management, I will tell you this... I know from experience that this field is extremely difficult to get into full-time. Obviously, because it's an amazing field that allows you to focus on the things you love... Hunting, Fishing, and wildlife. If you go this route, be prepared to start from the VERY BOTTOM and work your way up. There will be multiple stints making minimum wage, where you'll basically be paying your dues. It's fine as long as you can still make ends meet. The best thing you could do is network... While going through school, take part in as many internships as you can. The saying is so true... It's not what you know, it's who you know. The more "ins" you have, the easier it will be to find a job.

Well i got accepted into their Wildlife program already, but I'm almost positive I'm going to be changing that. You're on of the many people who have said it's a great program but it's a tough one to find a good career in. I love hunting and fishing and the outdoors, and i would love to spend my whole day being outdoors. But it just seems like it isnt the right program for me. Another option at the table is the pipefitter's union. One of my buddies has been all about that and we've looked into it a little bit. They seem to have good benifits and wages, but I dont know if that's an occupation I'll love or hate. In all honestly I would love to be able to be my own boss with the lawn care bussines. If i could make a good salary I would be all for that. But with the economy and how things are going I'm not TOO sure if that's gonna be practical.

Huckleberry Finn

The pipefitting union would be good...there's gonna be a lot of pipe laid in that section of the state!

From my standpoint, I've enjoyed college and it has put me in places and given me opportunities and allowed me to succeed in which I would not have otherwise. I've learned a ton and occasionally learned something in the classes. I'll graduate with a bachelor's that I essentially will not use at this time (other than the research skills, and writing and reading) but even at 24k of debt I'm happy that I did it...IF I had not changed my mind and was headed to grad school in the fall, I would be very well prepared for that as well. There are times when I have wished that I was not in school but most of the time I realize that it's been a great thing and a blessing.

Buckmaster

Portage
I was once faced with two decisions. Join the military or go to college.

I took my ASVAB test and initially signed up for a nuclear engineering program with the US Navy. It was a 6 year enlistment right out of high school. I was afraid of my 6 year commitment given I had graduated at age 17 from high school and backed out at the last minute.

I ended up taking a year off after high school and continued my employment working full time at an auto parts store.

At age 19 I enrolled in night classes at Kent State while holding my job at the local auto parts store.

6 years later I finished at Kent with a Bachelor's degree in Business with no student debt (because I had worked and paid my way through school). I applied for a Master's program thereafter but changed my mind because I was burned out from 6 years of continuous work and school.

Today I sit here as a business owner with 24 years of sales experience.

If I was to do things over again....I would have applied myself better in high school to get all A's, a hopeful scholarship, entering college and living on campus just like all the other college kids do.

OR, I often think about where I would be today if I would have enlisted in the Navy for the initial 6 years. Once I do something I generally stick with it so I guess I'd be entering my 23 year in the Navy, served in Desert Storm and the Iraq wars, and pondering my retirement after 30 years in the military.

I often think I made the wrong choice but such is life.

Last edited:

1hornwilly

*Supporting Member III*
Moundy, You should go to school. Not because it will be the most fun, but it opens up the world to what you are able to do. That little piece of paper that says you made it through means more job options. I hire people regularly and it's one of the first things I look at. Not because it means they are smart, but it means they went out and did something not everybody does. From there, you can decide what you want to do, including starting your own thing. There are certainly people who didn't go to college who figured it out and do well now, so it's not to say you can't do that...it just makes it that much easier. Yeah, debt from school sucks, but knowing you have the freedom to be one leg up on the guy who didn't go when you are looking for a job is really helpful. Not to mention, if you really do want to start your own business someday, the stuff you learn in class can actually translate to the real world sometimes. Plainly said... don't give yourself one more obstacle to overcome. If you are not super fired up about spending the next 4 years of your life in a classroom...get it done early! Take a huge course load and get outta there in 2-3 yrs.

Just my 2 cents.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
The one thing most guys our age look back on their senior year and say is this.....

Knowing what I know now I would love to have that year back, I would bang so many girls it would fall off"

That's about the only look back i got for ya man...

Be safe my friend.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
I would have chosen the miltary but times are alot differnt now then in 1979. Hell I would be retired and living the life. With that said I would look into the oil feild, at your age if you get in as a rought neck your good pay your dues, get bumped to motors, derrick, driller, pusher and then Co. Man and make one hell of a pay check even starting out as a worm. 2 weeks on 2 weeks off at the bottom and your making 6 figures. I won't even mention what a Co. Man makes a year.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would have pursued the Wildlife Management route! Like JB said, you'll have to start at the bottom but IF it is something you would truly like to do, why not? Hocking has a great program I hear and it would be the shit(awesome) to experience the schooling you'd get in that course.

I went to MATC in Zanesville back in the early 80's and they had a Parks, Recreation and Wildlife class that I envied. While my classes were doing lab experiments and air and water analysis in my Environmental Quality Control major, they were heading off to Dillion Lake and shock, measure and tag fish. If I had it to do over again, you betcha I would have pursued the wildlife route! In a heartbeat!

I figured if I did become a GW or in Wildlife Management to some compacity that I'd never be able to hunt or fish. Boy was I wrong! Goodluck in your decision MH! Do something that you love cuz you'll be doing it a long time!

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
Sometimes it's easier to figure out what you DON'T want to do for their rest of your life! I wasn't exactly the college bound type but after working a couple jobs after high school that I couldn't see myself making a career out of I am glad that I decided to get an Associates Degree!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well i got accepted into their Wildlife program already, but I'm almost positive I'm going to be changing that. You're on of the many people who have said it's a great program but it's a tough one to find a good career in. I love hunting and fishing and the outdoors, and i would love to spend my whole day being outdoors. But it just seems like it isnt the right program for me. Another option at the table is the pipefitter's union. One of my buddies has been all about that and we've looked into it a little bit. They seem to have good benifits and wages, but I dont know if that's an occupation I'll love or hate. In all honestly I would love to be able to be my own boss with the lawn care bussines. If i could make a good salary I would be all for that. But with the economy and how things are going I'm not TOO sure if that's gonna be practical.

Don't get me wrong, man... It IS tough to get into, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. If you REALLY want it bad enough, it will be yours. You just have to pay your dues. One thing to remember about the wildlife field, the more money you make the less time you're in the field. The guys who are out in the field 24/7 aren't the ones making decisions... They're the ones making things happen and busting their ass doing so. It's not the highest paying job by any means, but it's a job that will bring a smile to your face and make you WANT to go to work in the morning. That right there is why the competition is so fierce.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I would have gotten into internet technologies, while it was in it's infancy during the early 90's.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
Don't get me wrong, man... It IS tough to get into, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. If you REALLY want it bad enough, it will be yours. You just have to pay your dues. One thing to remember about the wildlife field, the more money you make the less time you're in the field. The guys who are out in the field 24/7 aren't the ones making decisions... They're the ones making things happen and busting their ass doing so. It's not the highest paying job by any means, but it's a job that will bring a smile to your face and make you WANT to go to work in the morning. That right there is why the competition is so fierce.

Alot of good tips and ideas here guys, I really appreciate it. RD, the oil field is definitly something i will look into. I defintly get what your saying here JB, i could get into a job that would make me WANT to go to work every day. But do you think this would mean much less time able to hunt and fish? Because as much as i would love to get into the wildlife management field, I don't know if i could sacrifice hunting and fishing as they're my favorite things to do.

i have 3 friends that are pipefitters and all three own thier own homes and bring home average 1200 a week depending on where the job is, they have great benefits and will always have work, and i might add 2 of my friends arent even 24 yet , the is a great pipefitter hall in cambridge that the work out of , this past summer 2 of them worked in lancaster for 3 months and was averageing 2300 a week bring home pay

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
#1....Do Not Knock A Girl Up And Be Stuck With Child Support!
#2....If You Like Your Job, You Never Have To Work A Day In Your Life!
#3....Never Burn Bridges As You May Need To Re-Cross Them!
#4....Good Luck Young Man ~~ It's Tough Out Here!
#5....IMO It Takes A Smart Young Man To Even Ask Such A Question.

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
1) The sacrifice you make to get a college degree will pay off - it's a fact that a college grad is going to make a lot more money throughout his career than a non-grad.
2) There is an assload of unemployed college grads out there right now.
3) Having a college degree does not mean you're smarter than a nongrad.
4) It's not what you know, it's who you know.
5) Hard work and attitude is what makes it happen for you.
6) Learn what the difference is between a job and a career.
7) Think like a boss, not an employee, no matter your position.
8) Every guy who's posted before me is absolutely right.
9) It's not black and white; there are no right or wrong answers for you. Only choices.

this was probably a less-than-helpful and confusing post. see #9