Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Got an unusual Ammo dilemma

saddlepants

central Ohio
I came home late from a shoot one night back when I first got started again and...
I always keep one of my 45s in my nightstand loaded at home and so I loaded one and stuck it in there but didnt think about it not being cleaned and said no worries I usually clean them good the following week of the shoot. Problem is we shoot black powder blanks all weekend. They get cleaned every night of a shoot but not the night home until I get to it. Well I loaded it with defensive ammo and when I went to pull them out to clean the guns they were stuck and a mess. This was awhile ago and I had set them aside. So now I find them and have six rounds of 45 cowboy loads that are gunked with black powder and have no idea how to get it off safely. I tried wiping them with a bit of acetone which had no affect....any ideas on how to safely "clean" the ammo??

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Throw them away and get more. Don't trust your life to corroded ammo. :)

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I'm w/ Joe.
Its not worth the risk!

HOWEVER;
I will share with you the best cleaning solution for cleaning a black powder gun.

1/3 rubbing alcohol
1/3 hydrogen peroxide
1/3 Murphy's oil soap

I mix it up in a 12 or 16 oz. Gatorade bottle for the BP cleaning kit and even carry a small pill bottle in the field to swab out between shots. It cleans just a good as any store bought solution I have ever tried and is a fraction of the cost.

FredT

SE Ohio
Hand buff them lightly with some 4 ought steel wool. It will clean the brass right up with no damage.

Next time clean them when you get home.:smiley_arrogant: