Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

deer sightings during muzzy

Darron

Dayton, Ohio
I only hunted one day (yesterday). I hunted with my father-in-law on my property. Here's what we saw.

Me- 3 spike bucks all together yesterday morning at 100 yards. Let them walk. Yesterday evening nothing.

FIL- Hunted all day and did not see a deer. He swore I put him in two gar holes but I assured him they were good areas.

Buddy of mine who owns 80 acres across the street that is manicured for deer hunting (food plots on every ridge and some of the thickest cover around) hunted his place all day and did not see a deer.

My deer season is basically over with. I will be duck hunting the rest of Jan on my days off. In total in the past two years I have taken two deer off the 100+ acre property................both bucks...... 140" and 125".

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Welcome to Vinton county darron. I haven't hunted it but 2 hours or so this year.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I hunted yesterday morning/evening and this morning. Zero deer while in stand.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
On the flip side, my son came running upstairs to wake me this morning saying he saw a buck in the field behind the house.
I looked out the window to see a 6 point chasing a doe around the field. We tried to devise a plan of attack, but he disappeared into the woods. Trying to stalk a buck with a 10 year old would be an impossible venture anyway.
So, sightings on stand - 0
Sighting from the house - 2. Lol

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Sat dark to dark yesterday and didnt see a thing. 3 shots is all I heard. Sat till 9 this morning and then eased along for an hour and a half. Didn't see anything or hear any shots.

I will check my log, but I don't think I have seen a deer from the stand since before shotgun...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Huckleberry Finn

Saw zip this morning, only saw a tail yesterday. I heard 18 shots yesterday morning and 4 this morning. Someone was seeing deer then at least.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I only heard one ML shot that didn't come from the guys I was with. I did hear a bang, bang, bang one time. What that was I could only speculate

rossbows

My uncle went out this morning in my stand and seen two shooter bucks and thirteen does. He did take a doe down. He told me when he got off work friday night he counted thirty in my hay field. They have been moving good up my way.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I wonder what the excuse will be this time considering we've had beautiful weather for muzzy compared to years past. Actually all of dec was beautiful compared to last year. Alex checked his logs and he had plowed snow 5 times by this time last year with the first is being dec 4th. He's not had to plow once and only needed to salt once so far this year.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I saw 6 does yesterday morning, nothing in the afternoon, and 2 does this morning... No shots, though. I was the only one hunting the property, so both mornings I opted to take the "walk around like a dumbass" approach. All of the deer I saw were jumped from beds and I couldn't get a shot. My food plots are absolutely decimated, so nothing has been coming in to them for a while as far as I could tell. It was a fairly disappointing weekend for me.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I went out and met with Dante yesterday afternoon and 2 other guys showed up out there. One of those guys was out yesterday morning and shot one of the few does we have on the property. After talking to those guys in the afternoon they both said they had not seen deer like years past. Had a good talk with them and they decided not to even come back out today. Was out this morning to hang cams and NOBODY was out there hunting. Seems a lot of the guys gave up early this year.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hunted a property I haven't hunted much this year. Didn't see a deer. With the full moon the last couple nights up high in the sky, I am guessing they just weren't moving. Deer tracks everywhere and in some places it looked like highways running through. They have got to be moving through at night. Ya think the dilweed riding his dirt bike all over the place while I was hunting has anything to do with it? I think I have as many pictures of that little puke as I do deer on this property.

mrex

*Supporting member*
My good friend Pat Hogan, the editor of NAW Magazine joined the video crew of NAW TV this year. I invited him up to film an Ohio muzzleloader hunt.

He had an encounter with this buck about 40 minutes into the hunt yesterday morning but didn’t draw any blood.

This buck was on his feet at mid day and Pat sealed the deal at 15 steps – graphic video!

Overall, hunting pressure was light in my area.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Darn nice deer Mrex. Wish the deer were moving up here. Minimal hunting pressure. I hunted in between 2 inside corners on a classic funnel. Double bend in the creek with narrow strip of woods for them to travel to either picked corn field. Wind in my face, 1/2 mile of plowed fields at my back, and the only 2 fields around which haven't been turned under. Not a deer to be seen. Seemed ideal. Even the night time pictures of deer on trail camera are minimal. No more standing corn. Still no deer. Go figure.