Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Canned Venison

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I canned up 7 quarts so far from one of my deer. Gonna do some in pints the next time for "snack" size.

the "pint" sizes are the bomb!!! empty one in a skillet break the meat up with a fork, add alittle BBQ sauce, heat it up real good, stick it in a small soup thermos and presto! warm lunch in the stand, just bring acouple buns!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I've never done it, but my uncle swears by it. Is it just me or does it look gross when it's been canned??? lol

RUT NUT

I've never done it, but my uncle swears by it. Is it just me or does it look gross when it's been canned??? lol

It's not just you. It does look gross....but it's some of the best deer meat I've ever eaten!

Huckleberry Finn

I had never heard of it til yesterday. After some looking into it, I'm glad for that...dang I'm with Jim. Looks gross...

Derek j

Knox Co.
Try it Steve......you wont be dissapointed. I put garlic, salt, and 2 beef boulion cubes in each quart. Nothing better!!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
You guys got any recipes you'd ike to share? I haven't had it canned since I was probably my son's age. Grandma always fixed it that way from Grandpa's deer. If I ever see a deer again, and then if I ever shoot a deer again I'd like to make some.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Yes, I agree, it does not look the best. But it sure is good and a handy item on the shelf. Has made many meals in a hurry around this house.