Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Cut-on-contact mechanicals?

I've used the N.A.P. Scorpion XP with success. I like and prefer cut-on-contact broadheads, of all kinds. They seem to get better penetration...at least in my experiences.

The Rocket, made by Trophy Ridge has a Steelhead XP, that a hunting buddy of mine has used with success...seveal times.

Even Carbon Express has one called the Torrid EXP.

* What are your experiences with cut-on-contact mechanicals?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I used the Grim Reapers before and they worked well on two does and a yote.

I have decided to stay away from mechanicals anymore. No reason for them if you get everything tuned properly and that is half the fun to me.

Potential downsides include - blades not opening, deflection, loss of KE, sketchy toughness, premature opening

Potential upside - easier to tune, larger diameter holes

All that being typed I would not scoof at using a T3 or Grim Reaper Razor Tip

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I am the biggest fan of mechanical heads you are likely to ever find. In fact, in the broadhead thread I ran off at the head about 'em. I have never had one fail, and I've shot a bunch of 'em.

This year, with my previously stated beliefs needing proven (only to me), I bought some of the cheapest mechs I have ever seen. They were the TORRID (Carbon Express) at Walmart. I almost retracted all my thoughts on mechs because of them....They are absolute JUNK! I shot a coyote, broke two blades. Shot a doe, broke two blades on entry (they must have snapped off while opening because only one blade cut hide and meat). I also shot a turkey, and broke two of the three blades again! Three for three on blade failure. Granted, killed all three animals, but they would have died if shot with a field point. I went back to my regular, and always trusty mechs to kill my buck. That head neads sharpened and a new rubber band, otherwise it's fine.

I still love mechs, but for your own good, avoid Carbon Express Torrid....JUNK!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I should point out that I thought I would like the Torrid because of the Trocar tip...the tip is the only thing I like about 'em. I will say, I have used the trocar tips on Muzzy and Stricknines, and liked em. In fact, the big Stricknine is just a Rocket Hammerhead with the Trocar tip added. Good head, big hole, short blood trail, but flimsy blades.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have had only two failures with a mech. One was with a Spitfire and the other a Tekan. The Tekan the doe still died. The spitfire I blame myself on also. I took a hard quartering away shot and I shouldn't have and I had that fabled deflection.

I have to agree about using a quality brand broadhead, IF you're going to use a mechanical. I've been guilty of using cheap mechanicals too, but only for groundhogs. The g-hogs died very quick, but the blades broke off or bent over really bad.

I've killed deer with the N.A.P. Shockwave and Scorpion XP...pass throughs on both and short blood trails too.

8 or 10 years ago, I was very skeptical of mechanicals and was reluctant to try them. I think that todays brand name mechanicals are less likely to fail to open or deflect on angled shots. Having said that, I have to agree with Beentown on having the best tuned bow and having the confidence with using fixed blade broadheads...for deer.

I still support the use of mechanicals for geese, turkey, pheasant, groundhogs and coyotes...due to the huge holes they create.

Bowhunter57

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I still think mechs advantages far out weigh any negatives. Having said that, I tried the cheap ones (because I wanted to see if they were junk) and found them to be over-priced even if they were free. I don't use the most expensive mechs on the market, but they are strong as heck, and always work. I have complete faith in them and will continue to use them...out of a well-tuned bow of course.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've used the N.A.P. Scorpion XP with success. I like and prefer cut-on-contact broadheads, of all kinds. They seem to get better penetration...at least in my experiences.

The Rocket, made by Trophy Ridge has a Steelhead XP, that a hunting buddy of mine has used with success...seveal times.

Even Carbon Express has one called the Torrid EXP.

* What are your experiences with cut-on-contact mechanicals?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

4-5 years ago I bought a pack of scorpion xp heads and shot two deer with them. 2 blades broke on a small 6 pt I shot on a double lung rib shot. The 2nd was a Doe and the head snapped clean in half right at the tip of the arrow. The third was never used. I screwed on slick tricks and haven't had a single problem. The buck i shot this year I hit him in front of the rear quarter in the guts. Right in the pocket. The trick went through some guts and exited the middle of the rear leg. Pass through.

epe

Lancaster
I used the Grim Reapers before and they worked well on two does and a yote.

I have decided to stay away from mechanicals anymore. No reason for them if you get everything tuned properly and that is half the fun to me.

Potential downsides include - blades not opening, deflection, loss of KE, sketchy toughness, premature opening

+1......

epe

Lancaster
I still think mechs advantages far out weigh any negatives. Having said that, I tried the cheap ones (because I wanted to see if they were junk) and found them to be over-priced even if they were free. I don't use the most expensive mechs on the market, but they are strong as heck, and always work. I have complete faith in them and will continue to use them...out of a well-tuned bow of course.

Your time is a coming for one to fail. Not worth the risk.. Maybe if you practiced a little more you wouldn't have to rely on mechanicals ;) j/k

Schu72

Streetsboro
I have killed 7 deer with Rocky Mountain Assassin mechanicals. They are the over-the-top design with a rubber o-ring to keep the blades from opening. Six of the seven were complete pass thoughs and no broken blades. Three were bucks and four were does. Four with a crossbow and three with a compound. Most were very short track jobs. They shoot just like a field tip and they do thier job. No need to change....until I can't find any more.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Your time is a coming for one to fail. Not worth the risk.. Maybe if you practiced a little more you wouldn't have to rely on mechanicals ;) j/k

You may be correct, but I doubt I will see one fail. I tried the Walmart variety this season, and went back to the old stand-by when I got serious about killing deer. My childhood bowhunting mentor turned me on to these heads in 05. I had never shot mechs and was surprised he had switched, particularly to the ones he was so impressed with. Figured I'd give 'em a try and am as impressed as he was. They are tough, and have worked without fail to this point. They are not an exceptionally big cutting head, but for whatever reason I get better blood trails than I ever did with fixed heads.

I'll agree with ya, I probably just need more practice. :)

brock ratcliff said:
They are not an exceptionally big cutting head, but for whatever reason I get better blood trails than I ever did with fixed heads.
I'd say you made a good decision, on the cutting diameter. Getting too carried away with the wide cutting diameter is a huge reason for the lack of pass-thoughs. If the K.E. isn't there to push the larger cutting diameter through the deer, then the cutting diameter is going to slow and/or stop penetration.

I'd much rather have 2 holes bleeding than one. On the average, 1 1/8" cutting diameter is what I use.

Bowhunter57

Can I ask why choose a 1 1/8'' cutting diam mech head over a fixed blade?Or vice versa?I know my theories,but there limited .. I always thought Cut on contact meant actual blade cutting on contact..Not trocar or chisel tips etc,is that wrong...I ask because would like to learn right if I been wrong all this time..

ohio mossy oak,
Like anything else with archery, it's full of personal choices. Having said that, 1 1/8" cutting diameter is a nice "middle of the road" cutting width...fixed or mechanical. When mechanicals first came out, most bowhunters were using 1 1/16" to 1 1/4" cutting diameter fixed blade broadheads. Mechanicals offer less tuning and/or wind planing issues...plus, the wider cutting diameter.

A wider cutting diameter isn't a bad thing, it just requires more K.E. to get the same pass through of a smaller cutting diameter. A good example would be my bow's set up, which is 52# with a 28" draw length and approx. 62# of K.E. If I were to switch to a 1 1/2" or larger cutting diameter, pass throughs could be a thing of the past. Especially, on an extreme angle or a shot that would be past 35 yards.

By the way... Cut-on-contact does mean having a leading edge that cuts. Therefore the cut on contact.

I shot this 4 year old doe, at 15 yards, on the ground and at an extreme angle. She was walking from right to left, so I aimed at the leading edge of her left rear leg, to get in behind the ribs. The shot exited just ahead of her right front leg. I caught the liver, right lung and heart and she ran about 60 yards...staggering all the way. The broadhead was a Fuse Banshee, fixed blade with a 1 1/8" cutting diameter. I don't believe that, with my set up, I could've had a complete pass through with any broadhead that would have had a 1 1/2" or larger cutting diameter.
http://www.fusearchery.com/broadheads/index.php?id=banshee

Bowhunter57

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I used to be a big fan of cut on contact heads. I read and took all Chuck Adams had to say as gospel as a kid. Still do in a lot of cases, but I am not hunting moose, and it doesn't take a lot to blow through a deer. I don't need my arrows to be buried to the fletching in mud, just hanging out the other side of a deer is enough for me.

To me, the biggest advantage of mechs is the fact they aren't catching side-winds like a fixed blade. I hunt a lot in flat, constantly windy areas where longer than average shots are the norm. If I were one to wait for a 20 yard shot, I may never shoot. Bow hunters have to use gear that is customized to their environment. I can usually eliminate the yardage estimation problem with a rangefinder (still using the first one to hit the market and have had it since 95), but side-drift from wind is something I want to minimize. Mechs help with that, at least in my opinion.

Last edited: