Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Frustration, education, and safety in muzzle loaders!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
As the title says, my muzzle loader experience is one of frustration, learning and safety. For the last 16-17months I have tried numerous times to get my new muzzle loader dialed in. While I believe there were multiple issues, I am confident in my muzzle loader now.

Initially, I felt I was not finding the proper load. While this "might" have been part of the issue, I do not think this was the main issue. However, that said, I am very happy with the load I ended up with. I am now shooting 100gr of Triple 7 pellets, with a 300gr TC Shockwave bullet. My muzzie is a TC Omega with a Nikon Omega BDC250 scope. All I can say is, shame on me for not taking such fine tools and making the most of them. However, we all learn sometime. Unfortunately, some of us are a little slow on the learning curve. lol

I have tried just about every combo of 200-300gr bullets and brands of bullets. Shockwaves, Hornady, Powerbelt, and a couple other brands were all tested and tried. I have attempted cleaning inbetween every shot, every 6-8 shots, and various cleaning methods in between shots. Sometimes I used bore cleaner, other times just a dry patch. I also had used a bore brush with dry patches only (which seemed to work the best in most cases.) In the end, it was a conversation with our very own CJD3 that tripped something in my pea brain and helped me put things together. He was mentioning scribing his ram rods on his muzzle loaders to ensure they are always seating the bullets in the proper place. While I had "meant" to do this more than once, I had never actually done it.

I feel obligated to post this mainly because it was a simple error on my part that caused all this. Not only this but it is an error which could have cost me my life. That said, be sure to scribe your ram rods and seat your bullets to the same position EVERY time. Had I been shooting a maxed out load of 150gr or been shooting a cheaper muzzle loader AND not been properly seating the bullet, the pressures could have very well ended up with some negative consequences for me.

I will not make any excuses other than I am fairly new to muzzle loader shooting and I have learned a lot in the process. Some might make fun of me (JD you can keep it to yourself lol), but I have no shame in posting it if it helps one person or saves one person an accident. It has been very fulfilling to figure out the problem I was having, and was even more fulfilling to see what this muzzle loader was capable of in my hands! I am just glad I have my hands and face to use to shoot it still and it never blew up in my face from the pressures I was asking of the gun by not properly seating the bullets!

I hope this saves someone some time, and hopefully saves someone a negative and dangerous experience.

Oh, and here is what it looked like after I got it dialed in. First three marked shots on the right were at 25yds. On the left were the three shots at 50yds. The one at the top in the middle was already on the target. I started at 25yds. Shot, went down 4 clicks. Shot second round and dropped it down 4 more clicks. Fired third round and moved back to 50 yds. Shot the first round and moved down 4 clicks. Shot rounds 2 and 3 and wrapped it up. Boogied home and still hunted until last shooting light. Didn't see any deer, but it felt pretty good to hold a muzzle loader I now have extreme confidence in!

Attachments

• TC Omega dialed in Jan 7 2012.jpg
    TC Omega dialed in Jan 7 2012.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 203

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Glad you got that sorted out without killing yourself. Muzzy's can be dangerous when not loaded properly!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
CJD3 is a wise man...

It was like calling customer service. Except CJD was in the US and knew what he was talking about. lmao

Glad you got that sorted out without killing yourself. Muzzy's can be dangerous when not loaded properly!

No kidding Brock. I probably fired 30-45 shots out of that thing and it is hard saying how many were improperly seated. My hats off to Thompson Center durability.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I had buddy bulge a bbl on a t/c Hawkins years ago most likely from firing a bullet not properly seated.

One thing to remember if you ever have a misfire the primer can move the bullet. After waiting a few minutes double check the bullet is still seated. Be VERY CAREFUL doing this after a misfire.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I had buddy bulge a bbl on a t/c Hawkins years ago most likely from firing a bullet not properly seated.

One thing to remember if you ever have a misfire the primer can move the bullet. After waiting a few minutes double check the bullet is still seated. Be VERY CAREFUL doing this after a misfire.

Great pass on Sam! Especially with the 209's

FredT

SE Ohio
1976 at Salt Fork, early ML season, I was using my .58 cal Zouave rifle. I used a big minie ball conical wrapped in teflon tape similar to a paper patched bullet. I was aproaching some friends in the field with my muzzle facing down. One guy asked what is that sticking out of the end of my barrel. When I looked I saw that the projectile had slid down the bore to the very end of the barrel. What would have happened if I shot it that way at a deer? I learned to check the location of the bullet every now and then. The newer tight fitting sabots I use seat tighter than that teflon wrapped minie.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Dang, Fred! I never had an issue like that, thankfully! I did have one blow the drum out the side one Christmas morning. I loved that gun. My FIL had it built for me before inlines were all the rage. It was 40 cal, custom built, shot incredibly well at unbelieveable distance. I went out to shoot it after the kids had opened presents. As I recall, season cam in the next day. I shot it a dozen times or so, then it made a funny sound when I fired it. I felt warmth flow over my hand and thought wtf. I started to load it again before I noticed there was no drum, and a portion of the curly maple stock was blown away. Sick feeling to think what would have happened if my hand had been a little higher.

A buddy I used to work with blew the biggest part of his hand off one New Years Eve with a muzzy. No projectile, just powder....and a lot of it. He said it sounded like an artilery round and got quite a rise out of the others celebrating with him, until they saw his hand was gone. Be careful with things that go bang.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Glad your confidence has been refound and glad you came out of it unsathed Phil. Thanks for the reminder and ....GO OUT AND KILL SOMETHUN WITH IT!lol Goodluck

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
So happy you have worked through the problem Phil. :smiley_clap: You must have felt like a real bad-ass going out there tonight knowing what the gun could do placing a sabot down range.

(PS: the factory red/green sights still give you a Great sight picture if you take the scope off in a pinch. Did you look at them?)
Glad you took a picture of the target for the files TOO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
So happy you have worked through the problem Phil. :smiley_clap: You must have felt like a real bad-ass going out there tonight knowing what the gun could do placing a sabot down range.

(PS: the factory red/green sights still give you a Great sight picture if you take the scope off in a pinch. Did you look at them?)
Glad you took a picture of the target for the files TOO.

If you only knew. Up until this point, I was going out with a real lack in confidence. I felt I would hit a 6" group, but there were still times I was unsure. Tonight, I went out there HOPING a deer would pop out at 100yds! lmao

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
You should NOT need a lube when shooting the shockwaves. The poly-patch the sabot slips into should be all you need.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have to ask, do you use a lube on you sabot?
I use a good lube on everything from a conical bullet, patch and sabots.
Lightning 13 or T/C bore butter are good.

Nope. Ironically, I felt I was getting inconsistencies from using the bore butter. lmao

I suppose I could try it again now that I seem to have figured this one out. Not sure it will be bore butter, but I might try something. I am leaning towards bore butter on the threads of the breech plug only though unless end of the season storage.

Lundy

Do NOT use any lube on a sabot and do NOT use bore butter in your barrel. It kills accuracy. You must have the plastic sabot friction in the barrel.

Even the TC website in the FAQ tells you not to use bore butter if shooting sabots

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra

Thanks for that.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Phil,
All this discussion got me to wondering so I dug out my records on the Omega. Pictured is a 25 yard pistol target. I used a 200 gr. Shock wave, 100 grain of 777, and a winchester 209 primer.
The first picture is at 50 yards with all 3 rounds touching.
The second is the same load at 100 yards with a 1.5 inch group consisting of 3 shots. For some reason, I did not swab out between shot #2 and #3 so I don't know if the group would have been tighter... Guess I was cold and tired.

After waisting time and money on several powerbelt weights and others, I tried the 250 and 200 grain Shock waves and settled on the 200's.
Hang in there and shoot it more this summer buddy. You'll see.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
thanks CJD. I plan on it. I might take it out coyote hunting the first time or two this year rather than emptying my round into the dirt. Might feel good to knock down a yote with it.