Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey gun..Sight or bead vs optics

Turkey Gun bead/sights vs optics

• single bead

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • sights ..front/rear

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • red dot

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Scope

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I do my turkey hunting in walmart frozen meat section

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I've always just used rifle sights on my turkey guns. I figure that I don't shoot over 40yrds, the same as my bow and it don't have a scope.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Up until this spring, my turkey gun just had the stock bead on the end of the barrel. It worked just fine with me, but then I put a red dot on it and it's absolutely lethal... I shot a Jake at 46 yds this spring with the red dot and some HeviShot 5's. Dead as a doornail... he never even flopped. A bead is fine, but I think a scope or red dot allows you to dial your pattern in use that pattern much more effectively.

Possibly this.
Here i thought you was gonna post some high dollar fuggin red dot or something:smiley_depressive:..I suck with beads an rifle style sights..I am cross dominate eye/hand wise,and cant close my L eye an keep the R open(aint sure why).I wear a eye patch covering just enough to block out what it needs to when i line up to a scope or peep..I am still able to use binos etc if that gives ya a idea.So a scope like a peep sight is easier for me to acquire the target then open or rifle sights an beads..I hope that made sense..

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
How it the hell do you bowhunt with an eye patch? Seems like a major handicap to me?!? I shoot with both eyes open unless I'm using a scope and was raised with a shotgun in my hand, so using a bead is second nature...

How it the hell do you bowhunt with an eye patch? Seems like a major handicap to me?!? I shoot with both eyes open unless I'm using a scope and was raised with a shotgun in my hand, so using a bead is second nature...

Like i said it dont cover much of my eye...It beats not vertical bowhunting at all right?I aint in the mood to switch to LH an relearn,buy LH crap an not like it etc.I lose a VERY small amount of peripheral vision to the left..But as far as accuracy it dont hurt a thing..Look at the pic below to give ya a idea..Some ppl have to overcome hurdles an it dont come easy for some...

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Can't u just close your left eye when u shoot? Thats what I do. As far as a scope or reddot . I personally don't like em. ITs a shotgun for christ sake. Plus its all reasonably close range shooting . With a bead u can aquire your target lots faster and still see the area well. One problem some people have that optics will cure is not keeping your check down on the gun which results in shooting over the bird.

Nope!!I cant close my left eye an keep the right open..You pretty much nailed it with the optics helping if you cant keep consistent cheek placement...I just a Red dot will be better suited FOR ME and what I need. As well as the range Im trying to achieve with my choke/load combinations

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Just keep in mind 90% of Turks are shot tween15-30 yds. I think a scope is a inconvenience at those ranges. Plus you hafta worry bout scopes malfunctioning
. It just overcomplicates a relatively simple thing.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
PS....if you really can't just shut your left eye and keep your right eye open when shooting you would be worlds better to just relearn shooting everything left handed now....the sooner the better.