Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Fingers are crossed...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've always felt the old saying "Those who can... do. Those who can't... teach." applied pretty well to me as an athlete. I've always been athletic, but I wasn't someone who was making First Team anything. Baseball was my first passion in life, but after declining scholarships to play in college, it took a backseat to life. When I started playing again four years ago in the adult league here in town, it reaffirmed how much I love the game. I've known for years that I wanted to get in to coaching, it was just a matter of when and where. Since it doesn't appear I'll have a kid to coach for quite a while, I knew I'd have to look elsewhere for that opportunity. Last week I caught wind that our high school was in need of a JV coach, although I'm not sure how much truth there really was in the tip. So this afternoon I sent an email to the AD at the high school informing him that I would like to throw my hat in the ring for an unpaid JV coaching job. Still no response, but I'm hopeful this will work out...

I have the ability to adapt my work schedule around being a baseball coach, so there are no real worries there. The wife supports me 100% in this journey, so I hope I get the same support for the AD and the other baseball coaches. I feel I'm well qualified for the job despite not having any previous coaching experience. I have been to some of the top camps in the country growing up and was always a sponge to that type of instruction. When it comes to coaching catchers, first basemen, second basemen, and hitting, I feel I can hold my own. I also have a solid grasp of pitching mechanics given I've spent 15 years behind the plate and attended several pitchers/catchers camps at Marietta College (one of the top D-III schools in the national).

I'm pretty pumped for the opportunity and hope to know more by next week...

Huckleberry Finn

You'd be a hell of a coach! JV is probably a good route too, less pressure than Varsity and you'll still be able to cuss...

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Hey, if this dont work out for you I could use a hand this spring with my boys 7 and 8 year old team. Just sayin. Good luck Jesse.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Hey, if this dont work out for you I could use a hand this spring with my boys 7 and 8 year old team. Just sayin. Good luck Jesse.

Thanks for the offer man. If it doesn't, I'd love to take you up on that. That's a decent age to start coaching instead of babysitting like tee ball. You plan on moving up as he gets older?

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Thanks for the offer man. If it doesn't, I'd love to take you up on that. That's a decent age to start coaching instead of babysitting like tee ball. You plan on moving up as he gets older?

As far as me moving up will all depend if someone is needed since I work shift work. Hell if anything maybe I can get ya to stop by and work on my boys swing sometime.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Good luck with the job if you get it.....I coach my son's baseball team, he's only 9, but it is a lot of fun and a way to still be active in the game. You will enjoy it!

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I liked coaching, hated the parents. They are ruthless when it comes to why their kids aren't playing

The best is when they come and ask why their kid isn't playing. It's obvious isn't it? He's so good I figured I'd let him rot on the bench. Duh...

I have a great story for a campfire someday about this asshole dad and me, the asshole coach.

My oldest son, right now, is not very good. It's gonna be rough in the house when he reaches HS and has to sit the bench. My wife is gonna hate me. Lol
I sure hope he turns it around so he can play Ss and bat 3rd just like every other cosch's kid. Lol!

Jesse, I've said it before: I wish you lived near me. I'd hire you in a heartbeat.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's awesome man! I really hope you get a shot at the coaching job. I think you'd be a great coach. If you ever want some ideas for drills/exercises for pitchers just let me know... I may know a few that would be beneficial to some youngsters.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
The best is when they come and ask why their kid isn't playing. It's obvious isn't it? He's so good I figured I'd let him rot on the bench. Duh...

I have a great story for a campfire someday about this asshole dad and me, the asshole coach.

My oldest son, right now, is not very good. It's gonna be rough in the house when he reaches HS and has to sit the bench. My wife is gonna hate me. Lol
I sure hope he turns it around so he can play Ss and bat 3rd just like every other cosch's kid. Lol!

Jesse, I've said it before: I wish you lived near me. I'd hire you in a heartbeat.

dude, I had a mom & dad come up to me at football practice the one day and she proceeded to tell me the reason her son wasn;t that good is because her husband "lacks any kind of athletic ability", "and isn't really good at doing anything at all", and the husband was standing right there!!.

I was like WOW, your wife just dogged you like that and your gonna sit there and take it?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If I am coaching JV baseball for no pay, I'll have no problems with parents! Being an asshole comes naturally and it'll come easier when dickhead parents start giving me shit as a volunteer...

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Sorry to hear that Jesse. You bet I will. Even if you only have time to come toss them some balls. I will definitely need a pitcher.